Friday 23 October 2015

Autumn clean up.

Yesterday afternoon I was out the front doing a little to my driveway when I heard my name called. It was the lady next door who looks after the young lad. She asked me to tell him that she had to go out. I told her I would also I had a plant for his little garden. It is a geum that I have split up because it has grown quite large.
  I didn't have to wait long and when I saw him I gestured for him to come to me. I gave him the message and told him to wait there whilst I gave him the plant. I asked him if he had the trowel and he told me he had not so I went to get mine, at the same time I picked the last raspberries and blackberries which he quickly devoured.
 We went round and I planted the geum, he showed me the greenhouse, I had sprayed the surrounds with glyphosate and it had done the trick.
  He then told me that there were no eggs and as soon as there were he would bring me a couple round. Mind you I don't know when that will be because he told me that on Saturday they all were going out and next Tuesday, his rest day, his Mum is going to Mablethorpe and he would go to see her. Then soon after he was going to go to Lincoln for his Sister's engagement or Wedding. I couldn't remember which.
 So this morning I decided to get some work done, some that I had been saving for him to assist me.
 I first picked the remaining runner beans  and dug up several plants, leaving about 3 so that the runner beans I had missed the seeds would ripen so that I could plant them next year.
It was cold and my hands were frozen, I checked the temperature and it was just 7c. no wonder my hands were cold.
 A little later I started to take the top off the fruit cage, The first thing was to undo the sides and unhook the edge facing the boundary. That was easy enough and after a cuppa I decided to move the netting to the other side. I had to negotiate it over the fruit trees but I managed it O.K.
  After my dinner(lunch to the posh)I thought I would remove the netting completely as it was not quite large enough so I had to add a little so that it covered the complete length. It is 18 paces long so quite a long way to cover completely. I have checked another length of netting and that is more than adequate to do the job next year.
 It surprised me just how easy it was and it only took about 20 minutes to take it and wrap it up. Now it is in a bird seed bag and ready for next year to cover up the apples. More soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment