Friday 8 January 2016

Sowing seeds

Over the last week or so I have sown a few seeds, not direct in the garden I might add, the ground is far too wet for that. I did sow 3 dozen broad bean seeds in pots and put them in the greenhouse to germinate. While the young man was here the other day I got him to set a couple of tomato seeds and I have left them to germinate on the window sill.
 Yesterday I noticed a few potatoes were chitting so I set about a dozen in the polytunnel and 2 only in the greenhouse. I don't like setting too many in the greenhouse for if they get blight they will spread it to the tomato plants.
 I have had for a few years a Pear tree but as I have dentures the pears tend to have little bits in their flesh and they get under my plate so I have, today dug it up. Today was a nice day, one of the few nice days we have had these last few weeks. The Postman told me today that yesterday we had almost 1" of rain. That didn't surprise me as my garden had plenty of puddles.
 As for the Pear tree, I have e-mailed the lad next door to see if they would like it, if so he can come round and together we will plant it somewhere next door, if not it will get burnt.
Finally for now, a week or so ago I took this photo of my tomatoes, these are the last ones I took off the vine. They were green and my American friend asked me if I used the green ones. I informed him that hopefully they would ripen alright as I left them on the vine until fully formed. I must admit they are smaller  than they appear in the photo but I am happy as once more I have a taste of tomatoes this year. Considering I sown the seeds around March last year I am happy. More soon.           

No comments:

Post a Comment