Friday 6 May 2016

Behaving

With the weather behaving better I decided to plant my tomato plants in the greenhouse. As anyone who is a gardener knows that having potatoes and tomatoes in close proximity is not a good idea as they are related and blight is the worst thing one could have. With this in mind I decided today to lift the solitary potato out of the greenhouse. As you can see from the photo I had a good crop of extra early new potatoes. Had I left them in for another 2 weeks they would have grown a lot more but I do have plenty in the polytunnel to lift in a couple of weeks or so.
 The young lad came for dinner on Wednesday and when I went up to see his garden I could see that the radish was growing, also a couple of broad beans had just pooed their heads above ground. He had not noticed them as I think he was disappointed that they had not shown before but I kept telling him that it was the cold weather that had been the problem. At the same time I had a close look at the pear tree and told him that I thought it was dying but I would keep a close eye on it.
 I then went back to mine after we had sprayed the dyke and took a close look at a plum tree I had sown. I didn't like the look of it but to be honest the ground has been waterlogged for some considerable time so it will not surprise me if it decides to wither away. I don't suppose I will be replacing it in the near future.
 While he was here we did sow a few seeds and I let him plant a few seed potatoes, the last thing we did was to plant his tomato plant in the greenhouse which he was pleased to do.
 He told me that this week end he will be visiting his Sister on Saturday and on Sunday they plan to go swimming so will probably not see him until next week.
 Tomorrow I intend to ring my mate up with the expectations that he will visit me next week. It will be nice to see him as he hasn't been here for some time. He has been busy in his own home, the latest thing for him, so he told me was to change his radiators over. I think the central heating has been installed for some time and he has bought a few replacement radiators. More soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment