Tuesday 1 May 2018

Change in weather

The forecast for yesterday was dreadful with heavy rain a d gale force N/E winds. Although it was bitter cold with the temperature hovering between 6c and 8c maximum the rain stayed away
 This morning dawned sunny and I had decided to go to the shops prior to the sunshine. I called at the Newsagent then off to Lidl where it was dreadful getting out because there was no person on any checkouts and this was about 9.10.am. There must have been between 12 and 20 waiting so eventually a Supervisor called for someone to go to the checkout. As one who has seen this happen many times it takes about 5 minutes for anyone to get the checkout working. This Lady who was waiting next to me was complaining as most were. I told her that I had heard on the radio this morning that it was the aim of ALL Supermarkets to eventually go without any checkouts. All I told her that us older folk would not use the Supermarkets that will go that way.
 Eventually I managed to get and pay for my goods then it was off to Lords the warehouse where they often have vegetables cheaper and better than Lidl. True to form, I was lucky for they had just delivered cauliflowers, they were great and at 89p  good value for money. They were still a little wet for obviously they had just been delivered. I guess there were about 2 dozen an all. Naturally I only picked one, then it was off back home.
 I had only been in my home about 15 minutes, just enough time to get my goods put away when the doorbell rang. It was the lad with his scooter. He told me that as it was a nice day he had decided to play on his scooter. He asked me if I would like to go next door for a coffee but I let him know that I had just made one but would come round for a chat about 15 minutes later. We had a quick look at the garden and he wished me to see his garden so we went to the fence where we had a plank fitted so we could look over. IT is about 6' in height. His garden looked well so I told him that I would look at his garden when we went round. I then showed him where the next doors tree was felled. They made light work of it taking the tree down in parts, it took less than 3 hours. The logs and branches are safely next door and will take a little while to shift.
 It was off next door, the Lass with severe learning difficulties was talkative, I can understand her. It is a credit to the Carer for when she first came she said nothing at all but has improved beyond recognition. Mind you she will never he able to look after herself.
 After about 30 minute talking I told the Lad that we would go and weed the strawberry bed prior to putting straw down. I first went to the greenhouse and immediately noticed the polythene had been blown down, not surprising as we have had a few days of gales. I saw a bit of wood and the lad went for a saw which I cut to size. It fitted perfectly and I managed to wedge the polythene between the glass and the piece of wood. Hopefully that will do the trick. Mind you his tomatoes look fine in the greenhouse.
 We then went to the strawberry bed firstly looking at his garden and noticing his radish. I then dug his strawberry bed making him take most of the weeds out. I then told him I would put a few slug pellets down for as it came warmer the slugs would get more active. By the time we had finished it was near Noon so I told him that I must go and get my dinner cooked. I had had a busy morning so I will take it a little easy this afternoon. More soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment