Tuesday 21 December 2010

Busy

Recently I have been busy, yesterday morning was taken up by going to the surgery, collecting my State Pension and getting things that I need for the week, namely milk and bananas.
Last night I was on the phone to my friend in Derbyshire, time went by and was talking to him for over an hour. Immediately rung off, the phone went. I thought it was my friend queering some comments that we had been discussing, but no. It was the man who took over my old business. he still keeps in contact with me although it was late 1997 when I sold it to him. Once again talk was long and it was again well over the hour. I finally decided that my blog would wait. Anyway, I have not too much to say anyway.
the weather is the main talking point everywhere you go. It has been so very cold for well over a month. It reminded me of an old Railway Driver who told me this old saying. By the way he told me that it came from an old farmer. "Ice in November to bear a duck, nothing much after but sludge and muck". So much for that old saying. Mind you, to be honest it has been generally a good yardstick in previous years.
Finally an update as to my Securities. I am sorry not to have reported this immediately but last week I disposed of Vodafone and yesterday, I sold National Grid. I made about 10% plus profit on each Security. All I have at the moment are Lloyds Banking Group and Aviva.
To be honest, I think I will just take a back seat for now as I truly expect a correction in the Stock Market within the next few months. All I wanted to do was to earn more than one could get on any savings account. To be honest to get more than 3% with instant access is a very good return so me getting over 10% is satisfactory.
Tonight or tomorrow we may get more snow. I hope not because on Thursday I am due at Hospital for a check up. More soon.

1 comment:

  1. Ha ha! So you've more than one friend in Derbyshire! And yes, it's snowing here again this morning but at least that means it's not quite as cold!

    Fancy the guy who bought your business still keeping in touch. I hope it was good news!

    Do you have that old treat at Christmas and other holidays? Mashed banana with brown sugar and cream?

    Now I absolutely love mince pies and so we were pretty proud of ourselves to have waited until last evening for our first ones this year.

    Of course they have to be warmed in the Rayburn and served with a little cream poured over the opened pie. Oh and with a wee dram to wash it down.

    Merry Midwinter!

    ReplyDelete