Wednesday 1 December 2010

Windows part 2

As I had to wait until I had enough money to have built an extension instead of the conservatory it was 2 years but was well worth it, apart from the John Carr windows. Eventually I decided to have one front window taken out and French Doors in UPVC fitted in the place where the window was. I also had a front door fitted in UPVC. I had originally an entrance lobby, small but it was draughty. It certainly stopped much of the draughts. Then one by one I had all the other windows replaced. By now the local Council had jumped on the band wagon and insisted that all new replacement double glazing had to be inspected by one of their representatives, at a cost to anyone who has had them fitted. I can't remember just how much it cost but they send a certificate stating they comply with Building Regulations. Anyway I had them all done with the exception of my garage window and door. My mate has an account with a UPVC windows and doors firm so he ordered a new door and window, he did the fitting and I was just the labourer. As it went well he suggested, about 4 years ago that we could replace the soffits fascia barge boards and guttering. This, he said would finally complete the whole bungalow.
We started the work in November, it was cold but he knew what he was doing, we stripped everything down except the gable ends. It took us about 3 days to complete, his brother took the old guttering away. I kept the main barge boards for the edging to a path. The only snag we hit was when we came to fit the guttering on. It started to rain, it is surprising just how much water runs off the roof. We both were soaked but we did finish it.
By the way, the whole lot cost us less than $1000. oop. Quotes were around £4500 and all they would do is attach the plastic to the existing wood. Anyway all I have is one door that is not connected to the property, whether I will change that I doubt very much. The best of it is, now all I have to do is wash the plastic down occasionally and it still comes up like new. Much cheaper and far less work than painting.
Had a phone call today from the Dental Surgery, I have another appointment date, next Tuesday. He was not at work again today, the receptionist told me that there was 14" of snow where he lives. More soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment