Friday 10 December 2010

Slight Thaw

Just a quick note, today has been a little warmer, the temperature did reach 4c. That was as high as it managed and to be honest, walking was treacherous. My postman called and told me that a Lorry had just slipped off the road a few hundred yard away, I think it made him more careful.
Now to something different. L have had Sky since I came here and before that. As I have been here almost 18 years you have some idea as to how long. Anyway I have had Sky+ for several years but the last few months it has begun to play up. Finally all I had on my hard drive disc was 2 hours of recording time. I think it originally had 80 hours. I have never had a service contract as I do not think they are value for money. Originally it cost £50 a year, my mate's Brother has a contract and it costs him about £90 a year. Anyway I had through the post an offer stating that if I took a self set up. a H.D box would be sent free, also delivery would be free and for a bonus 2 months free viewing but I must sign up for a 1 year contract. As a call out would cost about £95 to repair my Sky+ with no guarantee that it would last, I decided to order the H.D.Box. Yesterday my mate came and set it all up and got it working. All I had to do was ring Sky so that they could authorise the card so that it worked.
Yes now I have H.D. T V. Am I impressed? NO not really, to be honest I can not see much difference at all. Mind you I do not see too good, however the good thing is that I have a new box with a new remote control. Am I pleased that I changed? Yes but whether I carry on after the 1 year I am not sure. I think too much has been made about H.D.T.V. Still it may be me. Perhaps after a few weeks I will change my mind. More soon.

2 comments:

  1. There's a whole industry-wide search for the new invention which will capture the mass market, is there not?

    SKY and everyone in the home communications and reproduction business is trying to find the next 'Compact Disc' or 'DVD' or 'View Again' gimmick because each time they launch something new they make zillions of bucks, yeah?

    So good luck with HD and happy hunting with Sky. We've not gone down that road, just having digital tv with Freeview but then, unlike certain other friends, we're not madly into football or cricket!

    Our beef isn't so much with the means of receiving this stuff, it's the programmes we don't like much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I couldn't understand why you did not notice a significant difference with HDTV, so I did a little research on the Internet.

    I think I know why - but I have to admit that my conclusions may be off due to my assumptions. The difference in the US is amazing - because our old analogue TV picture had just 485 horizontal lines. Digital signals provided by cable or satellite only eliminated interference,: but with the same number of lines it couldn't improve the resolution.

    Your TV picture, however, had either 586 or 625 horizontal lines. (I'm not up to snuff technologically, so I couldn't be certain I understood what I read on the'Net)

    I believe Sky provides only a 720 line HDTV picture, which, although an improvement, would not be not as significant to a UK viewer as it would be to an American.

    Most US broadcasters, cable and satellite providers provide a 1080 line HDTV picture, which when compared to what we were used to is absolutely astounding. It should also wow a UK viewer.

    Of course, you have to have a HDTV receiver that can handle 1080 lines. Most sets sold in the US do, although there are some 720 sets sold, usually the smaller screen sizes.

    One other thing I got from my research - I found that Sky gives you many, many US channels. I would think that your population would be outraged. Your young people are being bombarded by American speakers. You risk the death of the English language. In years to come you will all be speaking American!

    ReplyDelete