Wednesday 22 December 2010

What a performance

The title says it all.
On Monday morning I went into town to make an appointment to see a Dr. No point in phoning as they are generally engaged or do not answer because they are dealing with those wanting to make an appointment. My appointment was for 10.00am. I was surprised because I got there early and the Dr. saw me early. I explained to him that I had a medication that I could not repeat myself. He was very good, explained all to me. The reason being that the prescription was originally issued by the Hospital Dr. They arrange for me to have blood forms and when I have to go for tests. He then informed me that they do not get the results of the blood tests so they do not know if they are doing right with issuing these toxic tablets. He went on the web and then spent about 10 minutes showing me all the rules they are now having to follow. I also asked him to take my B.P as the last time I went for a Blood Test it was high. Unfortunately it was even higher. He told me that he would double the dosage I was on to control my hypertension. He then said to me he would give me 1 months supply of the toxic drug but he asked me to mention the problem to my Consultant when I see him, which incidentally is tomorrow.
He saw me out of his surgery shaking my hand, I then went to the Nurse in the Pharmacy in the Surgery. I explained to her that I now had several prescriptions. She informed me that if I wished I could go to the chemist and collect these new prescriptions now. I told her that I would wait until all were ready. She then told me that I would not get the others as I had not ticked the boxes. I asked her to lend me a pen, ticked the boxes and gave them to her. She told me that she would send them off to the Main Pharmacy and they would be delivered. Yesterday afternoon, Nick the delivery man bought a small package. I immediately said to him "Is that all?" He told me that this was all that was issued. I opened the packet. It was the hypertension tablets, the increased dosage. Now this morning, he came again with another small package. He saw me looking funny and realised that this was not a complete order. I once again opened the package, inside was a repeat of the increased dosage of my hypertension tablets and my toxic drugs. None of the remainder was there. I reminded him what had happened, he left saying he would sort it out. He came back about 5 minutes later saying that the pharmacy had informed him that I had not ordered them. I told him what had happened and he said he remembered me telling him yesterday. I gave him the repeat 5 mg of tablets. He was astounded, I went to fetch what he had delivered to me yesterday, he looked carefully at them, did not know what to say but I told him it was not his fault but they often get things wrong. He was full of apology I told him not to worry. He then told me he would deliver to me tomorrow. I then informed him that I would not be in for several hours as I had an appointment at Hospital. He just told me that he would make sure I did get them. If the people in the Pharmacy was as conscientious as he is then all would be well. I will wait and see what happens.

2 comments:

  1. One wonders at times how some people manage to get properly dressed and actually find their way to work - the kind of people you hesitate to allow a coffee (or tea) break because of the time it will take to retrain them. It is comforting to know that there are such souls in countries other than the US.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perhaps it would be better to go to the chemist's shop to have the prescription made up next time!

    Hey, what's the betting the Consultant changes it all again anyway.

    There's no fathoming these medics - they live in a little world of their own, far divorced from anything we'd recognise as reality.

    Pills, pills, pills - it's their answer to everything you say to them! I watch in horror as friends start with just one or two pills and within a couple of years they've ten, twenty or even more to take each day.

    The whole thing is monstrous and must be bad for our health!

    ReplyDelete