Tuesday 7 December 2010

Record Temperatures

What a few days we have had here in the U.K. On Friday morning the temperature at 11.00am was minus 4c. do believe this is about 24f. Today has been even colder, I went out for my State Pension at 9.30am and the temperature was minus 6c. 21f. I was not fortunate enough to get all of my State Pension as the Post Master informed me that he had not had a delivery since last Wednesday so he had to restrict everyone because there was a shortage of money. I have never known anything like this at the seaside and I have lived here over 40 years.
Yesterday my postman called, he told me that it was the first day he had delivered mail to me since Wednesday last week. On Thursday and Friday, the sorting office was instructed not to venture out at all, on Saturday the country deliveries were suspended but the town deliveries went ahead. So it seems as if most things ground to a halt.
I did manage to get out on Sunday though to get some fresh mil a d bananas. I planned today that as I was going to the dentist, I would call on at the local shop and get some vegetables. Unfortunately the veg shop was closed. To be honest, I thought it might be as they sell produce from their Son and Daughter's small holding near Boston.
I eventually went to the Dentist, he told me that the temperature this morning when he set off was minus 15c about 5f. He then told me that he had about 2ft of snow where he lived and could not get to work until yesterday. I guess we have to be thankful for living near the sea as all we had was about 6" After all of that he finally extracted my loose tooth, he told me that he thought it was broken but he was not going to dig the root out, this suited me. He then suggested to me that I wait for an addition to my plate because he could not guarantee the plate would be returned before Christmas. I agreed so I have another appointment in early January.
My mate who lives in Skegness informed me that his Mother is not well. To be honest, I just don't know how she has lived for so long. The last time I saw her she was very frail. Anyway, all this means is that I do not know if he will be calling to see me this week. I have been fortunate really as he comes about once a fortnight and brings me what I have ordered. All I do is feed him and if there are any jobs I want doing he readily does them for me. It may be that I will have to go to visit him myself if he cannot get to me. I have told him, he must not leave his Mum alone for long. More soon.

2 comments:

  1. Hmmmm..... Apparently UK postmen are not nearly as dedicated as ours, witness their motto:

    "Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed rounds."

    However, it appears as if hurricanes may not count because I can recall the lack of mail deliveries after two of our most damaging storms. Heehee...........

    ReplyDelete
  2. Running out of money! Never heard of such a thing. Are you sure he's not embezzling it?

    Bad luck on the fresh veg - although I suppose you'll just have to have, er, frozen.

    ReplyDelete