Tuesday 14 December 2010

Old Tale

This story was bought to mind by watching an episode of Poirot on Sky. It was one where he was mistaken for a newspaper celebrity that if a member of the public accosted him with a copy of the newspaper and stated that he was the said man, he would be rewarded with a cash sum.
Well, remember I mentioned the Carnival well in the Carnival Programme it stated something similar. It said something like. If you see Mr Personality carrying a programme and challenge him, you will win £5. It is only the first person to challenge him successfully but it runs for 6 days. Sunday to Friday.
Well this was I think in 1970. The programmes cost 1/- or 5p now.
I employed a young student who was always trying to catch me out. He never did though. I decided to get one over him. I have mentioned the Fish Shop over the road. The proprietor was not particularly friendly. It seemed that everyone who was new to business, they were ignored. It took me about 5 years before they realised that I was there to stay.
Well the Fish Shop sold wet fish on a Friday, I think that was the only day he sold wet fish. I had also noticed that he also wore a straw boater only of course when he sold wet fish.
Well I told this lad, who I got to know well worked with me in the kitchen. I suggested that he buy a programme because I knew who Mr. Personality would be but did not know exactly which day he would be the one. He didn't believe me at first but I convinced him so much that eventually he bought a programme.
I was very serious when I told him who it was. I made him promise me that he would never tell anyone. He agreed. I then told him that when the man in the Fish Shop wore his straw boater, he was then Mr. Personality for that day but he must hurry up because it was only the first person to challenge him successfully that won the £5.
Anyway the day came, a Friday, I told him as soon as I saw the straw boater on the Fishmongers head. He dashed over with his programme. It took me all my time not to laugh, anyway I didn't hear what went on but I saw. The l;ad came back red faced. I asked him if he got his £5. All he would say was that the Fish Shop man told him to piss off and not to be so bloody stupid and stop wasting his time.
I just laughed heartily, mind you he never tried to catch me out ever again.
By the way, yes that was the same Fish Shop man who became very friendly years later. More soon.

1 comment:

  1. Shame on you! Heeheehee.......

    The young are so gullible. It is almost too easy to put one over on them. Of course I was an exception when I was a yung'n. You'd have never got me to bite!

    I remember on my very first job in the summer between high school and college one of the older workers asked me if I had change for a $25 bill. It was payday so I was able to produce it. There is no such denomination - as I was often reminded for the rest of the summer. --"Hey, Ed. You got change for a twenty-five?" -- each time with me turning red as a beet!

    ReplyDelete