Wednesday 8 December 2010

Carnival

This was reminded to me by my American friend whose blog is well worth a look. Far better than mine.
Anyway, when I first started my business in the late 60s early 70s there was what was called a Carnival Parade. This had been going on for quite a few years before I started. It was always the case, most locals moaned stating that the Carnival, which ran for a week was not of any use to the youngsters as they were at school. It was also known as the last week of the season. It was originally started to prolong the Summer Season another week. Carnival week started the first Monday in September, the children going back to school on the Tuesday. The Parade itself was on the following Saturday. This day was a little better than the preceding 5 because they were of little or no use at all.
In those early days, most Holiday Camps closed their door at the end of September, the last 2 weeks were reserved for owners only. There were a couple of private sites that closed on October 15th. It was then a long winter.
Over the years though Holiday Camp sites changed hands and the season was extended to the end of October. This did make the season last although in general, it was only at the week ends that trade was brisk. The Parade which was always on the last day was altered. It was then decided that the Carnival would be in I think early August and the Parade was on the Sunday, really starting the Carnival week.
Over the years, there were many regulars who came to take part. I remember one in particular. A fellow dressed up as Old Mother Riley. He was very good. He used to come in and have lunch every season. It was as I was nearing my lease end that he told us that reluctantly this was to be his final appearance as it was getting too much for him. I decided to give him the meal and a thank you for the pleasure that he had given so many, and of course the monies that he had helped to generate for charities.
The most complaints we had was the distance that the Parade took. Many were children of tender years and to march. or rather walk for about 90 minutes was too much for them. It was really well supported though.
Unfortunately the last few years, I lost contact as I was on the sea front with my business so missed the Parade.
I will tell you this though, there was one display of a Spitfire, it was to fly past the playing fields. As I was on the sea front, I had a perfect view. It was brilliant as it did 2 fly pasts. I can not just remember how much it was but the organisers told me that the insurance was astronomical and it was definitely a one off. I managed to see it for free. a sight I will never forget. I guess this was in 1994 or thereabouts. More soon.

1 comment:

  1. Having worked in the holiday industry twice (as a volunteer on the Talyllyn Railway and then with Pete on our boat holidays) I am very familiar with these arguments about prolonging the holiday season.

    For several years I organised one of those political conferences which take place each autumn. They used to be exclusively at the seaside and took place in September and early October - why? because the likes of Brighton and Blackpool were glad of the trade to extend their summer season and were always happy to offer cheap rates to encourage people to come.

    ReplyDelete