Thursday 9 December 2010

Dogs

No! I haven't gone to the dogs, well I don't think so but this is about dogs. A friend will understand.
Now as anyone who reads this blog will realise that I am on toxic drugs. This means that I have to have regular blood tests. At first it was every 14 days then gradually to every month now after about 2 years I am allowed to have a blood test every 3 months. I tell this because I used to get the same Nurse to take my blood. We became friendly and eventually she would talk of other things. I take her tomato plants each year. She told me about her Parrot. She was upset because she had only bought the parrot less than 6 months. The cost was £1000. Well she decided to buy another young Parrot. Her husband started to train it to talk with the odd expletive but she was and is thrilled that the bird is talking and very much a part of the family. Again this cost £1000. She bought photos to show me, she had an old Labrador and a young poodle . I remarked that it looked like an Apricot Poodle, she confirmed to me that it was. I remarked that they were not common at all.
Well early this year, she told me that her husband and her had discussed whether to let her dog(bitch) have a litter of pups. She knew of a dog Poodle which was Apricot. Now remember I am now not seeing her too often. The next time I saw her, she had took her bitch to the dog, she told me the first time her bitch was not cooperative at all but the next time she laughed and told me she could not get to the dog soon enough. She told me the coupling was good and although a second meeting was advised, she was sure that it had been a success. The cost she told me was £50. If tit was a blank, no refund was given.
I was angry because I went to see my Consultant at Louth Hospital and he wished me to have a blood test immediately. I went back to my local surgery but my regular nurse was not available. I saw another who I knew well. I was telling her about the other Nurse and her Poodle, she then told me that she had been with her Granddaughter to see the pups. 9 originally but 2 died. She then told me that her Granddaughter was disappointed because the Parrot did not talk. I told her that it was perhaps just as well as the parrot sometimes swore. We laughed.

Now luckily enough the other day I went for a blood test. Yes it was with my old Nurse. She gave me all the information and showed me the photos. They looked cute. She had 7 surviving dogs 5 bitches and 2 dogs. Originally when we discussed the cost of the pups. The woman whose dog was used told the Nurse to advertise them on the Internet and charge £700 each. She told me that she didn't think they would sell. I told her about my younger Sister. She wanted a Chihuahua, I told her I called it a glorified rat but everyone to their taste. I could not remember just how much she paid but it was well over £200. This was about 6 years ago. Now my Sister lives in Scotland and I told her she came to Wragby to get this dog, they called it Wragby after the place it was purchased. That cheered her up a bit.
Now she told me that she advertised them on the Internet. Young bitches £750 and the dogs £700 for each one. She told me that for a week, nothing then they were inundated with enquiries. She told me that she had 2 left. One dog was sold and would be collected shortly and she was keeping one for herself. Now she had to register them with the Kennel Club. She told me this was costly. I never ask anything about price so I do not know how much it costs. She told me that there is an annual fee but it was not too expensive. I asked her if she was going to put her bitch to a dog again, she told me that it was highly unlikely but the young bitch she is keeping will perhaps be put to a dog eventually.
Finally this brought to me a good colleague who passed away several years ago. He used to come in to my place every weekday, he was a window cleaner but never charged me at all as I always gave him his morning tea, we used to have a little get together putting the world right, there would be about 6 of us. Anyway one day when we were alone, he told me that him and his wife was going to make a fortune. I asked him with what and it was sometime before he told me. He was going to breed dogs. Now they had a Pekineses bitch, he had shown it a couple of times. He told me a judge went over to see them and told them they would not win until they had been showing for about 6 months, the bitch was a beautiful dog and would certainly start to win regular. When he told me this. I told him that if he made any money, I would pull my hair out by the roots. Well unfortunately they spent a fortune preparing everything but unfortunately did not have Internet access so they failed dismally. Mind you I did not realise just how much money some folks will pay for pedigree dogs. I hope my friend from the Peak District is taking notice. Enough of this for tonight. More soon.

1 comment:

  1. I refer to my GSD as The Former Bitch because the vet got there first.

    I've twice allowed bitches I've owned to breed - but since I don't have heated outhouses in which to keep mother and pups I'm not doing it again thank you!

    ReplyDelete