Tuesday 30 November 2010

No dental appointment

With all the snow about, my dentist who lives out in the Lincolnshire Wolds was unable to get to work so no dental appointments for anyone today. The roads were very good here at the seaside, with the strong easterly winds the salt seems to lift the temperature just enough for the temperature to be above freezing. Most of today it was about 37f or 3c.
I guess this is one of the pluses of living in rural Lincolnshire, mind you I have to pay an awful lot for my heating. I went to Grantham last Wednesday and my sisters were comparing their bills. One pays about £60 a month and the other just a little less, this is for their combined heat and light. I just told them that although I was pleased with the £250 winter fuel allowance, my next LPG bill would be in excess of £350. also I would have at least another 3 more bills of the same sort of price and that I had already had a fill in early September. They do not know just how lucky they are being on the mains gas. I wish was.
My American friend has just painted his front door, it looks good too. He tells me that he employs someone to cut his grass as he is too lazy. I told him it is sensible to get someone to cut his grass. I sorted my garden out so that I have NO grass at all, unless it is in weed form.
Anyway, back to the painting. When I had my bungalow built in 1992./3 I had wooden double glazing windows, it had been mandatory to fit those sort of windows for about 5 years. Anyway I could not afford a large bungalow but insisted that I had the best windows. I had fitted Magnate and Southern cedar wooden framed windows. I originally had a conservatory on the rear of the property facing south west. I used to get home from my work to an oven, I decided that as soon as I could afford it I would have the conservatory demolished and have an extention instead. This took me about 2 years to find the money. The man who did the extention told me that John Carr windows were very good. I mentioned this to my mate who also told me that they were the best. When all was done, I looked at the windows, they were rubbish. I compared them to Magnate and Southern being a BMW and John Carr being a Lada. My mate had to agree that they were not in the same league as Magnate. This made up my mind, I would gradually change all of my windows and doors for UPVC windows which by now had become popular. To keep my wooden windows looking good, I bought Sadolin Extra cedar which is not cheap and had to paint the windows and doors every 2 years. To be continued tomorrow I hope.

1 comment:

  1. We can send you some snow! We've plenty!

    When we bought this house (three years ago) Pete liked the windows but I loved them! They were wooden - bows on the front and cottage style on the back.

    Our first winter was fine but our second was draughty and cold because we're rather subject to a north-easterly wind which makes the house difficult to heat.

    Reluctantly I agreed to Pete's suggestion that we replace with UPVC double glazing. In the end we went with a local firm who'd been in business nearly 40 years.

    Overall I'm happy with the result. The big bow window in our sitting room at the front looks plastic to me - coz it is! But I don't notice it with the smaller white ones upstairs and the brown ones in the kitchen and bathroom (coz it was the colour of the preceding wooden ones) they really do look just fine!

    Certainly they've cut down the noise from the car-mending fanatic and the ageing motor biker over the road AND the screaming from little girls playing in the street is nowhere near so shrill either!

    Oh and, even in the snow, the house is definitely warmer too.

    ReplyDelete