Thursday 25 November 2010

Horrendous traffic

On Wednesday I went to Grantham to see my Sisters. I will not be going over there again this year. The traffic was absolute hell. I could not understand just why everywhere was more or less gridlock. It took me 30 minutes to get into the Supermarket from the outskirts of town. It then took 15 minutes to get out of the car park after getting a few bits and bobs. Eventually I called at Asda filling station. I know the lady there and mentioned the traffic. She then told me that there had been an accident on the A1 and diversions were being used. I think every car came to Grantham. I eventually went to see my Sisters, they confirmed what the lady had told me, they also noticed that the local bus was running very late. I only stayed there for about 30 minutes then headed back to the main road. It was nose to tail all the way, I was lucky as immediately I was at the junction a woman let me in the queue. It still took me over 30 minutes to travel about 1/2 mile, 800m. I eventually arrived home, it took me more than 30 minutes longer than normal. as I did not feel 100% I was glad to get home and in the warm.
This morning I got up early to watch a little cricket. I noticed that we had a smattering of snow, however as it broke daylight it started to snow again. As it was fereezing it settled and we soon had about an 1". Around 9.30am the temperature rose a little and the snow started to melt. Unfortunately about 30 minutes later we had a heavy snow storm lasting about 45 minutes. When it had finished the main road was completely covered. I was so pleased that I had gone to Grantham yesterday. Later in the day, most of the snow had gone, but I suppose there will be more soon as the forecast is not good for the next week or so.
Finally the cost of petrol at Asda in Grantham was 115.9p per litre. Here it is 1.22.9p. I guess that is why the country is becoming less populated. Mind you it has it's advantages. More soon.

1 comment:

  1. Hey! you'd have been quicker walking!

    But seriously - there are all sorts of arguments about bypasses but in the end the town which tries hard benefits from a much more pleasant environment for people to visit to do their shopping. Then, like yesterday apparently, when it all goes wrong and we again see just how important those bypasses are!

    What a lovely thing it is to arrive back home after adventures in the big, wide world! I bet you slept well, eh?

    ReplyDelete