Monday 8 November 2010

Guy Fawkes

Well last Friday, for those who may read this and are not British. You will probably not have heard of the custom of Guy Fawkes night. This is held on November 5th. each year to celebrate the capture of Guy Fawkes and his associates. I can only remember vaguely one, Thomas Catesby. They attempted to blow up the Houses of Parliament. No comments such as you wish they had succeeded. This was ages ago in I think 1604.
Well this is celebrated by having a bonfire and lots of fireworks. Last Friday night it rained all evening so I did not expect to see any fireworks so I was not surprised. However on Saturday the weather was much better but still no fireworks or bonfires about. I know I live in the country but this is the first time ever I have never seen or heard anything different to an ordinary evening. I have lived here for over 17 years. I wonder if the times are changing and bonfires in one's garden and letting off fireworks is becoming a thing of the past. I do realise that there are many organised bonfire parties around, mind you not here.
It will be interesting to see if next year things are the same.
I have just rung my friend up this evening asking for an update on the fitting of a replacement boiler which is more efficient. He has this done free for him as his Mother is 85 and not in great health. Well to my surprise, he told me that they had been there today and started with the work, he was not sure just how long it would take but he guessed that by late Wednesday, they should be done. Remember mine, I know I did not have every new item as my timer pump, Yplan and thermostat was all in good working order, but they only took from Wednesday lunch till Thursday early afternoon. Of course this was not paid by the government so I presume that they had to work sharply as it was an agreed price. A lot less than my friend was informed his would cost. Just about half as much. Still that is the government grant system for you. As for my system, it seems to be working O.K. I will not know just how efficient it is for some time.
That is enought for now. More soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment