Wednesday 10 November 2010

Autumn time

Today has been a lot better weather than the last few days. I decided to take the runner beans down, unfortunately could not put them in my garden waste bin as it is full. I have just left them where they were growing for now. Tomorrow, the bin men come and take away the recyclable bin and garden waste bin. I think that in a fortnight's time it will be the last time they take away garden waste until April next year. This may be O. K. for townies who have in general small gardens. Here in the country, we have larger gardens , still we will have to put up with doing without until next April.
I have saved runner bean seeds from my bed, three different sorts, Enorma, Painted Lady and Scarlet Emperor. I dried them with some broad beans that I also saved and took them to my next door neighbour. I also gave here a surprise, about 2lb or 1kg of tomatoes of different varieties and told her that if there was one particular type she liked, let me know and I will save some seeds and sow them next early spring. I did warn her though that they would not be as sweet as the summer ones as it is the sun that ripens the fruit and sweetens them. Still they will be nice. I then took a couple of spent tomato plants up out of the greenhouse. I should get a few more tomatoes, weather permitting for a couple of weeks or so. Now it is more about getting ready for winter, a time I am sad about because for the next 2 months, all we have to look forward to is dark days and cold weather. Still as my G. P. said to me some time ago, we have next year to look forward to. More soon.

1 comment:

  1. Yes, but at least you can successfully grow things!

    We don't have a greenhouse and it's a bit wet and inhospitable in our hillside east -facing garden. We've tried but to not great avail beyond a few herbs.

    Still - I am growing chillies these days on the kitchen window cill - and we use plenty of those!

    ReplyDelete