Friday 12 November 2010

Shopping

After a wild and windy night I decided to go to the loacl town shopping. I was told that Cost Cutter was a good place to go for milk and there was a long date on the milk. Anyway I went to town, managed to park fairly close to the shops. I innocently walked about 100 yds to the shop. Innocently not looking immediately where the shop was but looking at the vegetable shop almost opposite. I walked across the road and stared in amazement. No Cost Cutter. All there was there was shutters and a sign informing that the place was available for rent.
It was just as well I did not go there especially to go to Cost Cutter, I then crossed back across the road and went about 30 yards to the local butchers. Mind you, I do not think they know what Best end of Lamb is or Crown Roast is they are both the same. I asked if they had any, and the reaponse was negative, I then asked if I could order one, I was informed that they don't get any in. There is no answer to that. I did though get some sirloin steaks and a few lamb chops with lambs liver and sausage. I also ordered first some cooked ham, it really is nice there.
I left and went down to the veg, shop. It is run by an elderly couple whose Son and Daughter in Law or vice versa have a small holding near Boston. I bought a couple of swede a stick of brussel sprouts and a cabbage. All for £2.20, very reasonable indeed. I then called in my usual place where I get my milk and made my way home. By the way, sand was plentiful as the wind had blown lots off the beach.
Now tonight I rung my friend up and asked if all was well with his replacement boiler. He told me that the boiler was working well and the plumbers had finished Wednesday afternoon, however he was waiting for the electrician to finish off the wiring. I asked him if he had a day when the man would call. He informed me that all the plumbers said was that the electrician would be there in a few days. I wonder if they have heard of co-ordination.
Finally I have had my renewal for my motor insurance. Last year it was around £150 this year it was for £186.56. When I rung up to pay, the man on the other end asked a few questions then told me that he had good news. My premium was reduced to £172.95. I thought it was very reasonable as my car is a G.T. Anyone who wishes to know the name of the insurer, just e-mail me and I will gladly give them the information. Now to the week end. More soon.

2 comments:

  1. We generally do our weekly supermarket shopping on Friday afternoon - if Pete can get what Liverpudlians call 'an early dart'. If he has a meeting or something else gets in the way of coming home then we get stuck with a Saturday shop - which is infinitely worse because of the number of people parking and shopping and often there's stuff they've sold out of!

    I don't think you're alone in finding that a shop like Cost Cutter has closed up - we've lost two or three little businesses from our main shopping street - but then, one place is already re-let and it's being re-fitted ready for its new occupants.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yikes! Your auto insurance comes to about $280 American! This year I paid $890 and was thrilled to death it had dropped from last year. There have been some years when my premium exceeded $1,000. And I get a safe driver discount!

    Of course, South Florida has probably the highest number of reckless drivers per capita than anywhere else in the civilized world. That is, if you consider South Florida civilized!

    ReplyDelete