Tuesday 9 November 2010

Odd story

This is true, all I write is true and this happened I guess around 1971.
When I first went into business, I of course had no money and was told that to keep your head above water encourage youngsters during the winter. Incidentally, this was a cafe/snack bar. I turned it into a restaurant about 2 years later.
I was not the only business who catered for the youngsters, the local cinema did a similiar thing. I met the owner and she was nice. She used to have, in the winter months every 2 week days a different couple of films and on Sunday a different lot too. In other words youngsters had the oportunity to go to the cinema 4 nights a week to see different films. By the way, I had an advert with Pearl and Dean, so when that ad came on the youngsters used to be rowdy. As I told you I met the owner, I went to see her because I was informed that the projectionist did signs in his spare time. I asked her if I could see him. It was not really a cinema and to get to the projection room you climed up a ladder just as if you was going up in the loft of a house. Well he came to see me, several times actually. Once when he came he told me that he was going on holiday(always in the winter or spring never in the season)and a relief projectionist would take his place for a week. He said he would tell him to use my cafe.
As it happened he did come in and I used to go and sit with him and have a talk, he came from Lincoln. On the last day, he came in just to say cheerio and said that when he was here again he would come to see me.
I told you that I catered for the youngsters. I had a half day on a Wednesday. I closed at 4.00pm. The rest of the week it was 8.00am to 10.00pm.
The youngsters would come in early, some would then go to a youth club then be back to mine after 9.00pm. If they were going to the cinema, they would always ask me to stay open for them. I always refused as it was a long day as it was and the cinema did not finish until about 10.15pm.
The time came again for the relief man to be here, he was true to his word and his first port of call was to see me.
It was I think on a Tuesday the youngsters told me as usual they were going to the cinema and would I wait for them, as usual I said no. Well about 9.45pm the youngsters came rushing in laughing and giggling, something had happened. There is always one lad who is more talkative than the rest. He came up to me and told me what had happened. He said they were watching the film and it started to speed up. For a minute or two they thought it was supposed to happen but it went faster. One or two started to shout, the usherette came out to see what the noise was all about, saw the film was on fast forward, put the lights on soon after the safety curtains were closed. Then there came an announcement that the film show was over for the day and everybody should leave. He told me that eventually they decided to leave and when they got outside a police car was there. He said he did not know what had happened though.
I did not see the relief man the next day, but early on Thursday morning he came in and had his usual. then sat down. After a couple of minutes I went to sit with him and asked him what had happened and where had he been. He firstly told me that he had only just been released from custody and that he had to go and report to Lincoln Hospital. I asked him what had happened. He then explaind he wanted a pint of beer(closing time was 10.30pm)and he had seen the film before, he thought that if he just speeded it up a bit, he could just manage to finish in time to get a pint. He then told me that he almost certainly would lose his job, I agreed and that he would not see me again. I have never seen him since. I did not tell the youngsters though.
This happened really as a consequence to that. I decided to change the place from being a snack bar/cafe to a restaurant. This meant I had to get rid of the Juke Box. which I duly did. About 4 months later, I guess in June a large man came in had a good look round then remarked that I used to have a Juke Box. I told him that was true, he then asked me if I had any piped music, radio or T. V around. I told him I had not and I was not interested in playing music only serving meals. He then produced his I.D. He was a performing Rights Inspector. He told me that I had a permit but it was withdrawn, it was paid by the firm who installed the Juke Box. He then gave me the news that if I had even a T V with news only he would have demanded a payment. I thought what a devious man. He came from Lincoln and as far as I know never came again as he could see that the place was now a restaurant. Oh well more soon.

1 comment:

  1. There's upsides and downsides to having a comparatively young clientele then!

    ReplyDelete