Thursday 18 November 2010

Shares

This morning I ws up a little later than usual. I lay in bed not knowing the time, I eventually decided to get up and check the time. It was about 8.15. I am normally up and about before 8.00am. I went through my usual routine, after I had finished turned on the T.V. wanting to watch cricket on Eurosport. I was surprised to see nothing of the sort was on so I turned to CNBC to check on the Stock Market. Much to my surprise the headlines was about National Grid, stating that profits had increased and that the dividend had also increased. I immediately went online and checked out the National Grid web site. True enough the interim results were posted, I downloaded them then read them, they were good.
I went back to CNBC then went on Bloomberg there they have a ticker every few minutes giving the up to date prices of the Ftse 100. I was surprised to see that N.G. had fallen a few pence. I went back to CNBC to watch the ticker tape going by. It gives an up to the minute of transactions of decent sizes of stocks. I was horrified to see that the shares in National Grid had fallen by over 10 pence from yesterday's close. I did no more, I immediately rung my broker and bought a few hundred more shares. I do mean a FEW hundred as they cost over £5.70 a share. The broker was surprised when I asked him if they had suddenly gone EX Dividend as the fall was so surprising to me. He told me he had not even had any notice that the interim results had been announced. Anyway I thanked him and still bought the shares. At one stage the shares in National Grid were the worst performing shares in the S.E. 100. Eventually though thyey gradually went back up so that eventually they reached parity on yesterday. Finally, they were 2p better than yesterday.
Anyone who is considering buying securities, I would suggest that a close look at those of N. G. The interim dividend is 12.9p. It is anticipated that the total dividend will mean an overall dividend of about 6%. Far more than any Bank or Building Society would bring. Mind you, share can go down as well as up.
A final footnote was that the compare was interviewing a man, I think from Barclays Wealth. He suggested that they were a buy on his list and that over the medium term, he expected the share price would rise so that the annual income would be a little less than the current 6%.
I think tomorrow, I will be acting more normal. Hopefully.

1 comment:

  1. Gamblers and speculators!

    You're the sort who ruins the rest of us. (he he!)

    But, seriously, don't get into the Futures Market or i really will fall out with you!

    ReplyDelete