Wednesday 18 April 2012

April?

Today has once again been very cold and wet. According to the weathermen we desperately need the rain. My garden though is very wet indeed.
Early Sunday we had a heavy hail shower which then froze. It was not until yesterday afternoon that I noticed my grape vine had been affected by the frost. Where the young shoots had touched the glass on my greenhouse they had been affected by the sharp frost and had killed off the shoots. I guess I have lost about 10 young shoots which carried the grapes. I am not bothered though as I should still have plenty for my use. I did protect the tender plants though and they managed to get by unscathed.
My best Pal has been staying in his touring caravan, which he keeps on a local site all the time. When he arrived he told me the temperature was showing 7c on his car. That was the outside temperature, I knew it was cold but didn't think it was that cold though. We have managed to see a little glimpse of the sun today. Well this evening to be precise. As I am writing this we have just had a little watery sun for about 5 minutes. Not good for me producing solar power. Still we have to take what we are given.
I went to get my haircut this morning. As it was raining, not too hard I thought there would be nobody much in the barbers shop. I was right. Well not quite, nobody was there at all. The shop was closed. Normally he opens on a Wednesday morning and has the afternoon off. Still it wasn't a complete waste of time, I needed a few potatoes to get me through the next couple of weeks before my new potatoes are ready so I bought 3kg enough to see me through alright.
Tomorrow I am going to Skegness to see my mate and his Mum, I don't stop long but she will be pleased to see me. Weather is supposed to be like today so cold and wet. It all brings nearer the summer when hopefully it will get much warmer.
I have planted more runner beans in pots, the first ones are showing nicely and I would like to think I can plant the first ones out in a week or so. More soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment