Monday 23 April 2012

Dodging the storms

Oh my God, they have once again altered everything. I don't wish to have all of this hassle at my time of life. It is O.K. for the youngsters but for me it is a headache. Why don't the give us the option of staying as we are? Now I have had my gripe. To my latest blog.
 Over the week end I have been repairing, well renewing my fruit cage. It had birdnetting over the top but the sides were covered by the sort of orange plastic that you see round building sites to deter people. I found that this was not U.V. stable so it gradually began to disintegrate in places.  So on Saturday morning I decided to make a start. Incidentally, my Mate was going to come and help me but it is over 6 months since he has been to help me. His Mother is not good so he does not like to leave her for too long. He is her official Carer. Well I have some fruit cage material. This is U.V. stabilised and rot proof so it should last for a few years. I started to ge everything laid out when the first heavy rain suddenly appeared so in  I went for about 30 minutes later I was able to continue. I went and got my step ladder, the weather was not good, I saw my neighbour, I knew that they had entered the latest Pigeon Race. I asked him how he had got on. He told me that all but 5 had returned. I told him that with the poor weather around I was not surprised. There was dark clouds aroud and lots of cracks of thunder. He agreed that it was not good for the birds and I said to him I presume that they would all return eventually. I then started to fix the netting to the top, I could see that it was going to rain soon and I wanted to get as much done as I could. However I only managed to get 75% of the top fixed when the heavens opened up once again. It grew darker and I knew that this was it for the day. I was correct. It didn't really stop again that day.
 Sunday morning opened up a little dull with light rain but at about 9.00am it dried up sufficiently for me to continue. I could see that the weather was unsettled so I got on with the work. I was so pleased that I finally managed to get everything secure when down came the rain again. Not only thunder and rain but hail too. That put an end to Sunday work.
 This morning once again I woke up to rain. The outlook didn't seem great but the rain eventually ceased and around 9.00am I managed to put the finishing touches to my now secure(I hope)friut cage. Mind you, the Blackbirds are the most destructive of common wild birds, eating all friut, pecking flowers ans pulling out seedlings. I don't think however I will have many cherries and plums this year. I have had a look and noticed that  a lot of plums, also cherries have been damaged by the frosts. One Cherry tree was so covered with blossom that an awful lot would have dropped off anyway. All I can do now is wait and see.
 What most gardeners round here will want, is a period of dry warm weather. A lot of the seeds planted will not germinate let's ho[pe that the weather improves and gets warmer. More soon.
 P.S. This new set up is a pain in the backside for me

No comments:

Post a Comment