Thursday 19 April 2012

Wet journey

This morning I went to see my Mate and his Mum in Skegness. When I left here the rain was pouring down and it continued until I got within a few miles of Skegness. They had some rain but the roads were reasonably dry, as I was travelling to their home I thought to myself that somewhere there would be flooding. Sure enough when I got Look North on the BBC i saw one place had flash flooding. It didn't surprise me at all because the rain was very heavy.
I went to plant a little cutting that my best pals wife had sent me. The ground was waterlogged. Still a few days of dry weather will soon put that to rights.
Now back to my journey. When I arrived it started to rain, my Mate told me that it had only just started. I took him and his Mum the last few carrots.
As you know I try to talk of odd things that we know of but the younger generation have no idea. I asked her if she remembered Golloshers, she smiled and told me she hadn't seen any of those for many years. I told her that it must be nearly 70 years since I had seen any. I told her my Mother used to wear them. I mentioned it to my Mate that all shoes were made of leather and as my Mother used to love quality shoes she used to protect them by wearing Golloshers. I told him that when leather shoes got very wet, when they dried they had a sort of white salty rim where the water had got into the leather.
I then asked her if she had Tripe. She pulled her face and told me she hated the stuff. We both talked of Tripe and Onions. It was done in milk. As kids we had to have this once a week. It was subsidised by the Government because of the shortage of meat. My Mate told me that he liked it, it was the cows stomach. I told him I thought it so but we all disliked it immensely. His Mother readily agreed but told me that her late Husband really liked it. My Mate told me that you could still buy it now. I would not entertain the thought of eating Tripe again. The other subsidised meal was Cows Heel. My eldest Sister liked it but to me, it was equally as bad as Tripe. By the way, if I have spelt Golloshers incorrectly, I apologise. More soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment