Tuesday 10 April 2012

Easter came and went

Typical Easter weather greeted the Holidaymakers. I must admit that as I was in business for over 30 years. I can only recall one fantastic Easter weatherwise. I can also recall several Easters when it snowed. Thank goodness it was only rain this year. My neighbour told me that the local town was very busy on Sunday.
It was me looking at my potatoes in my Greenhouse and thinking of things to talk about to my mate's Mother when I go next bought back memories.
What most will not know is that when the war was over men were not demobbed immediately. Very few were demobbed before 1946, this then takes me to my story.
My Sister who is just over 4 years older than I am was a bit of a tomboy. To give you some idea. There was a train waiting to gain entry to Grantham Station and it was full of Americans. My Sister, together with several of her friends started to shout and wave from the footpath below the tracks. One American threw an orange and my Sister was the one who finally managed to get her hands on it. Bear in mind, nobody saw an orange during the war at all.
Now as my Sister was 13 and we lived in rural Lincolnshire. It was decided that for 2 weeks in September, with one's Parents permission could go Potato Picking. My Sister jumped at the chance and of course my Mother readily agreed as we were very poor. Mind you, I didn't know just how poor we were until several years later.
I can't remember exactly how the girls got to the farm but I believe they were taken by bus. They were paid a little and she would come home with tales, so much so that I hoped that when I reached 13 I could go potato picking too. Of course I would never have been allowed as the 11+ was introduced in I think 1947 and anyway the scheme only lasted for 2 years. It was abandoned for good after 1947. Mind you, my Sister was a bit of a devil, she managed to get a few eggs which of course after scolding her for stealing my Mother was grateful for those bonus eggs.
When I next see my Sister I will ask her to give me more information if she can remember that far back. I wonder what folks would think of now having 2 weeks off school for spud picking. More soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment