Monday 15 July 2013

Hot

 
You will notice that I have to cover the broad beans and peas with bird netting. just one of the perks for living in the countryside. Much better though to have animals as the pests than vandals.
 Today I picked lots of peas, it is a little disappointing really because although I set my first earlies in early March, the main crop in late April, both lots are more or less ready at the same time. It was so hot picking the peas, I picked almost 7lb of Little Marvel early peas managed to shell them and now they are in the freezer. Later I picked the main crop. Hurst Greenshaft, they are really for the show bench. Much larger than the earlies but just as productive.
 It has been very noisy here today. Next door, the one with the large house had a delivery of bricks and other things to start the extension. The other side have had machinery working most of the day. Disappointing for me because I have a screen fitted so that I can have my door open with no fear of flies coming inside to bother me. The noise though was, at times too bad for me to leave the door open.  I wonder just how long this will be going on for.
 Tomorrow I go to Hospital to see my Consultant, only for a general review so I am not worried. I don't suppose anything will change at all.
 My runner beans are just beginning to set, well some of them anyway. I am picking tomatoes off my plants regular. Cherries are just beginning to ripen, not that I have that many on this year but will have enough for me. Strawberries are more or less done with. I guess it is the sudden hot weather that has bough everything on so much quicker than I anticipated. There are a few blackcurrants ripening and the gooseberries are too looking good.
I have dug up some first early potatoes Pentland Javelin, what a disappointment, one has to watch them closely because they soon turn to mash, one minute they are not ready, the next they are falling to pieces in the pan. One can steam them but for sure, I will NOT be growing them again. More soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment