Tuesday 30 July 2013

All or nothing

It is either all or nothing. A couple of months ago I was buying vegetables, now I have plenty of different vegetables to choose from although I must admit that with the very hot weather my peas have come and more or less gone very quickly.
 I was fortunate with my cherries, on Sunday my Best Pal rung me up to let me know he was coming to see me on Monday with the news also that he was going back home the next day. He will of course be returning soon.
 As I had a blackbird in one of my fruit cages, I decide on Sunday to pick the fruit off the tree and save them for my Pal to take home to his family.
 I decide to put them in the fridge overnight and luckily checked them first thing on Monday. To my surprise quite a lot had begun to rot so I  sorted  them out made some  jam and also slice the best ones in  half, take the stones out and freeze them. This I can make a sort of ice cream with frozen bananas and other fruits such as peaches and nectarines.
 I then went out after my mid day meal and picked about 6lb of cherries. I also picked some carrots and a few beetroot. I just managed to get everything ready when he called.
 No sooner had we sat down to put the world right when we had a terrific thunderstorm. It lasted for almost 90 minutes. Still I had managed to get my fruit picked.
 The weather brightened up briefly around 4.15pm. My Pal left at 4.30pm. and about 15 minutes later it started to rain again. We had very little sun after 2.45pm.
This morning I went out to pick a few more cherries to give to people, to my surprise, the heavy rain had caused much damage to the cherries, however I managed to get enough but to be honest I guess 25% were ruined.
 I saw the workmen who s building an extension next door. I told him he had an early day yesterday. He told me he did and he also said he waited in his car for ages but did no more work at all yesterday. He looked up and suggested that we may get a repeat performance today. Although it turned very dull this afternoon the amount of rain was not also great as to stop them from working.
 As for my vegetables, I now have a choice of peas, broad beans, runner beans french beans, cauliflower carrots and marrow, so for now I am spoilt for choice, soon I will not have such a wide choice of vegetables. More soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment