Monday 22 July 2013

Poor week end

The first peas are called Little Marvel, I picked around 7lb of them on one of the hotter days. My back ached after picking them. It was not easy as I have to cover them up with netting to stop the pigeons ruining the crops.
Shelling them too was not an easy job but I managed it alright.
 The lower peas are what a lot of people grow for showing. I am not interested in showing them though. They are Hurst Greenshaft. Commonly known as Greenshaft. These are the main crop where as Little Marvel are the first early variety. Unfortunately this year although I did sow the first early in March and the main crop in mid April, they were more or less ready at the same time this means that I will have lots of peas that will go to seed so that I can use them next year.
 I have picked, today several more fruits which I will post soon.
 Today has been a much better day although the forecast for the coming week is not good at all. Heavy rain and thunderstorms at times.
 The week end was a huge disappointment for anyone who came to the sea side. Saturday was rather dull and yesterday was a dreadful day. Dull all day with no sign of the sun at all, it was rather cool too. I was wearing shorts and going shirtless those days when the sun shone but yesterday I wore my trousers and shirt, I also put a jumper on as it was rather cool. Today started much as it was these last 2 days but around 11.00am. the skies began to brighten somewhat and it turned a lot warmer.
 Although much of the Country has had unbroken sunshine we on the East Coast have had several days where the sun has failed to shine at all so we have not had the blistering heat.
 We will see if we get the thunderstorms that are promised. More soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment