Thursday 3 April 2014

What weather

These last few days have been awful. dull foggy and those dreaded easterly winds so  it is cold too.
 Yesterday I had a new split Consumer board. As I have had the old one since I have been here I could not grumble. It had to be done as I was having my inverter moved from the loft into a cupboard next to where the meter is fitted.
 They arrived around 9.00am and after showing them all I decided to have a bonfire burning what rubbish I had. I was pleased as it was bitter cold out so the heat was most welcome.
 About an hour and a half later I went back inside. I was told that the inverter had just been re-sited and they were waiting to see if all was well. It takes around 5 to 10 minutes before it starts to generate electricity once the power has been turned off.
 As soon as it was found to be working properly it was time to turn off the electric, remove the old consumer unit and start to prepare to fit the new unit which is a little larger than the old one. Working in a confined space was not easy, I did go out a few times just to make sure that the bonfire was burning well. In fact by the time they had left, all that remained were a few ashes which can be spread on the garden.
 The men worked non stop and were very pleasant indeed. There was very little mess and they told me they would hoover up when they had done. I told them that they would do no such thing and I would hoover up when they left.
 I had planned that day that my main meal was going to be smoked haddock so I had no cause to have my saucepans on the cooker.
 One of the guys working only wanted a glass of water, well to be honest I think he had 3. The other guy, the boss made himself a cup of tea, then he had water.
 The job went well but he did inform me that sometimes there would be a fault because theses new Consumer Units were more sensitive and would trip the fuse at the drop of a hat.
 Well everything went well but when we came to check everything, I was in the T.V. room checking my standard lamp and I told him that I thought I saw a flash. He immediately came and looked at the wiring and told me that this was the problem. I thought that was that. He checked everything else and told me he was satisfied and if any fuse blew it would be because the appliance I was using was faulty and not the Consumer unit.
 They left soon after 2.00pm. I immediately cooked my smoked haddock. To be honest I was absolutely worn out and all I had done was watch.
 I had a little sleep and later I thought that the fault might be a double socket. I thought I would turn on my oil filled radiator. Sure enough everything went off. I can't see too good, that is being kind as I really have very poor eyesight. I went and looked at the unit. switched everything to the way I thought it should be and sure enough we once again had power.
 Incidentally I have just had my medication delivered, I thought that they had forgotten me, anyway that is a relief.
 I will now go and check all of my medication. More soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment