Tuesday 8 July 2014

Gardening matters

 My mate is coming to see me tomorrow, the first time in about a month because of all the Surgery appointments. This week I have a week off. Next week I have 2 appointments the same day.
The first photo shows if one looks carefully a couple of cucumbers. My Italian mate gave me this quite some time ago. It looks as if they are a little different this time, not so thick but more slender and longer.
 What I will do is give my mate the first one which is almost ready. Mind you he would NEVER give his first fruit or vegetable away. In fact he would only give anything away if he had loads spare. Anyway I will be pleased to give him the first one. No doubt he will ask me what sort it is which I will tell him I have no idea as it was given to me.

 The yellow cherry size tomatoes were given to me by my Brother-in-Law in late March. They are quite nice not as sweet as Gardeners delight but they were the first to ripen.
 These are my grapes beginning to ripen although they look good they are on the small side and of course are seeded. They are about the same size as seedless grapes. They will sweeten up the longer I leave them on.
Here are my plum tomatoes, they look untidy as they are indeterminate so are more bushy, not like Gardeners Delight.
 I have had lots of peas, typical though they all seem to be ready at the same time. I have also done quite well with my 2nd. crop of broad beans but I have had to keep a keen eye on them because of the dreaded black fly.
 I have taken more photos of my produce which I will post tomorrow.
 Finally I am looking forward to my mate's comments on the cucumber. I am certainly pleased with how they look. Unfortunately for my mate all of his cucumber seeds failed. I know how he feels as I had loads of carrots and beetroot fail.
 Finally for today, the forecasters told us that June was a drier month than normal. Heaven alone knows where they were looking. Here we have had lots of torrential downpours interspaced with baking hot sun making a crust on top of the soil. More soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment