Thursday 10 July 2014

Short straw weatherwise



My mate called yesterday, as usual it was nice to see him, the weather was sunny intervals but gale force winds from the North. Around 2.30pm. the clouds rolled in and that was the end of the sunshine.
I gave him the cucumber and he was pleased with it. I too was pleased and as I told my mate it was my Italian friend who gave me the plant. I would never bother to grow cucumbers myself. I also gave him a few of the yellow cherry sized tomatoes. I also asked him if his Partner liked cherries, he told me she did so I picked a few for her.
 As you can see in the first picture I have not done so well this year with cherries but I will have enough for me.
I don't know if I mentioned it before but I bought some self pollinating Runner Beans and most of them did well last year. So much so that I decided to set a couple of seeds in my polytunnel. One is called Stardust and the other is Firestorm. Red flowers for that and white for the other. So far I have had a few meals off them so I will do something similar next year. The photos show a few beans on the plants with plenty more to ripen.
 The gales have played havoc with the runner beans though but the rain is more of a worry. I got up around 5.30am. this morning to heavy rain. It has rained all day and to be honest most of it has been very heavy rain. Unfortunately for us living near the Coast it is only the area next to the sea that is being affected. So much so that it was mentioned in the weather forecast that the light rain would get heavy late teatime and flooding could not be ruled out. My garden is once more waterlogged and areas in my property are under a few inches of water. Tomorrow is not going to be much better, mainly dull but much less rain. More soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment