Tuesday 16 September 2014

Busy week

This week I have several appointments. Yesterday I went to the Dentist. Was in the chair for about 3 minutes and was charged £17.50p. Not bad for a National Health patient.
 On Thursday morning I go to the next town for a flu jab and on Friday I have a blood test and B.P. check.
 I think most of us will be vitamin D deficient as we have had a dull sort of year on the East Coast. Today being one of those many days. It has been very poor indeed with dampness in the air and tomorrow talks of being similar. Mind you when the actual weather report for the Summer will almost certainly state that the year has been sunnier than average. They totally ignore the East Coast.
 I was surprised when the young lad from next door came round. He had bought some pigeon manure. I showed him what I had done with one of the ends of the raised beds. I used three blocks which are more like concrete than breeze blocks. I asked him if he would like to help a little and he readily agreed. He didn't do much but I showed him just how I did it. With his assistance it took about 20 minutes. I have now used those blocks. I think all I will need is another 6 blocks.
 I have been picking lots of hazelnuts. They are early this year and a lot are beginning to drop off the tree. This is definitely the best year I have had for the nuts. I showed the boy how easy they were to get out of the case and he enjoyed helping. In fact I gave him about 500grammes to take with him to share with the family next door.
 I set some runner beans in the polytunnel some time ago some are now just beginning to set so hopefully I will be getting some runner beans into October.
 I checked my diary and noticed that in July I had picked 3 cucumbers. Taking this into account I will, if this cucumber grows fully I will have had at  least 20 fruits off the one plant and most have been over 12" long or 30cm. My broad beans are in flower too, this is the first time I have set them in the polytunnel late in the year so it will be interesting to see if I get any produce from them. The peas that I set at the same time are a little slow and to be candid, I don't expect much off them.
 As for the marrow plants. I have had just 3 off them and I have now dug the plants up. Still getting a few tomatoes off though.
 Must take a photo of the polytunnel as the broccoli has grown enormous and the cabbage I set earlier are beginning to hearten up. More soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment