Thursday 11 September 2014

Wind up?

I think I can tell this true story as it is well over 20 years since it happened.
 Before I start I will remind you that I was in Business in the catering and had several fellow Businessmen call to see me each morning. It was a sort of ritual. Needless to say we pulled each other's legs occasionally.
 Well in February that year a young man came to see if I had any jobs going. I informed him that I might have. He told me he was 17 but would be 18 in July and planned to go into the Army. He was at present at day College.
 I thought this would suit me fine as this was my last season as my lease ran out in the following January and had no intention of renewing it.
 I told him he could work with me in the kitchen, he readily agreed.
 He was typical of youngsters, all the vices and was forgetful as most youngsters were. I told him more than once he was hopeless. One day he told me that he was not clever like me but there were some of his mates were just dim.
 He gradually became quite adept at his duties and was a help. Soon after his 18th. birthday he asked me if he could change his day off as he had to go for a medical for the Army.
 I readily agreed but was somewhat surprised at the swiftness of his invite to have his medical.
 All was normal until a week or so before August Bank Holiday the young man told me he had been called up in the Army.
 I was a little concerned as it should be a very busy week end, however it didn't happen and things passed off alright.
 It would be some time either late September or early October when the phone rang. I answered it and this is what occurred.
 "Can I speak to a Mr. xxxx
"Speaking"
 This is the Ministry of Defence here. I believe you had a Mr. xxx working for you."
"That' right.
"We are doing an informal check as to his background and ask you if you would be willing to answer a few questions?"
I wondered if this was a wind up so answered thus.
 "Oh I suppose so."
"Would it be convenient for a Mr. xxx from Sleaford to call on you on such and such day in early October?
 "Whatever."
 "Well will it be alright then?"
  "Oh whatever, I will be here every day."
 She thanked me confirming the day and date and rung off. I naturally though someone was pulling my leg.
 To be honest I didn't give it much thought. I should have done for on the  time and day she told me an elderly man came in. He stuck out like a sore thumb. He had a 3 piece dark pin striped suit he also wore a bowler hat and carried an umbrella. I was in my working gear and looked a mess.
 He offered me his card, well not offering it really but held on to it tightly just showing me his name.
 He asked me several innocent questions then out the blue asked me a question emphasising  the letter H.
He asked me this. "Has He any Homosexual tendencies?"
 I was taken aback and he could see that I was. I answered thus.
"Fancy asking me? He only worked here, what he did once he left the premises was nothing to do with me. I can say this though, he had a girlfriend".
 He apologised  for asking such a question but then told me that he could have a position of sensitivity in the Armed Forces.
 Well time passed and I got ready to vacate the premises  selling all the equipment. All I was waiting for the property that I was moving to was completed.
 Out of the blue I had a phone call from the young man. He asked if he could see me and if I agreed could I meet him off the train from Skegness. Of course I agreed.
 I went to meet him and found out why he wished to see me. His mate who he used to pal out with had died from a drugs overdose. He was visibly shocked and told me he had never taken drugs at all. I had met his mate and found him to be nice. Anyway he wanted to visit his grave. While he was visiting the grave I prepared something to eat.
 Some time after we had eaten he pulled out his wallet to show me some photos. He then took out his identity card. He told me he wasn't supposed to show it anyone but he would show it to me. I took hold of it. I didn't take particular notice until he told me to turn it over.
 There it stated  he was in the Intelligence Service. I was shocked but didn't show it, neither did I tell him that I had a visitor from the MoD. months earlier and that they were doing a background check on him.
 I made sure he returned to his base and I have never heard anything from him since. Mind you within a month I had vacated the premises.
 I wonder whether  they still ask the same intrusive questions these days? More soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment