Tuesday 30 September 2014

Getting weaker

I have had a Mantis tiller for well over 15 years. It is a miniature sort of rotavator. It is run by electricity and I bought it when I first contacted my first illness and was in Hospital several times. It certainly made digging the garden easy and I didn't find it heavy at all.
 I am sure I have mentioned it before but the young man with learning difficulties has been bringing me some manure. The first couple of times it was chicken manure with plenty of straw which I found it hard to dig into the soil. The last couple of times he bought me pigeon manure with a little less straw but is still not easy to dig in.
 Today I decided to get the rotavator out and have a go. When I went into the garage I was amazed just how heavy it was. By the way, the promotional video shows a female lifting and working it easily. To be frank, I found it very hard but I did manage to rotovate 3 raised beds. Although the straw has not broken up as much as I had hoped, I am sure that over wintering should make a difference. I guess Father Time is gradually catching up with me.
 Yesterday I picked my Bramley cooking apples, I will be honest and say that they look very poor with the dreaded apple scab. They are alright once they have been peeled but I don't think they will keep all that long. Certainly not until March or April next year, that is what I would expect healthy fruits to last.
 I was taking some side branches off next door's evergreen trees, my side is dead when the guy from the other side shouted and asked me what I was doing. I told him and he showed my some silicon, well I think that is what it was. He told me he was spraying his synthetic bumpers on his Campervan as he was going to a show and if the price was right he would swap it for another. I noticed that it is still here.  Anyway I told the young man about it and he asked me to find out what it was. I have looked out for him but he has been out early each morning, I will catch him though and find out just what he used.
 My mate is calling tomorrow so hopefully he will sort out my camera so that I can upload photos when I have any that is passable to put on here.
Finally for now, my runner beans have finished outside but I do have a few in my polytunnel. Enough for perhaps 6 meals. My broad beans and peas look as if they will not produce much if anything. I will, of course keep you informed if I am successful. More soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment