Monday 12 January 2015

Fair weather

With the weather being rather mild for the time of year it has made me start to get ready for Spring. I do of course realise that much bad weather can befall us before the Winter is over.
 I have set 3 dozen broad bean seeds in pots, also set a few potatoes in the polytunnel.
 A few days ago I went to the local Garden Centre which is about 8 miles away. I do pass a Filling Station on the way and I noticed the price of fuel. Petrol was £1.08p. a litre but diesel, the fuel I use was 8 pence a litre more expensive. This surprised me somewhat but there is nothing one can do about that.
 I went to the Garden Centre to buy some John Innes No.3 compost which is best for my needs because it is soil based.
  This morning I decided to set 3 new potatoes in a tub which will, hopefully be filled with the said compost.  I start with about 4" of compost then put the seed potatoes on the top and cover them up with compost. When they start to show through I will keep topping up until the tub is nearly full also set a few shallots in the greenhouse direct into the ground.
 I was checking my seed bank, obviously I do have a few old seed packets and noticed that I had an onion called Beacon, which does grow to exhibition size. This packet had not been opened and the seeds were foil packed. Anyway I have set some seeds hoping that some will germinate. The recommended date for last sowing was 2006. I will let one know if any germinate also if they do how they perform.
 I did buy a few geranium seeds online and set them, so far I have about 9 of the 16 seeds germinate. Incidentally while I was at the Garden Centre I priced up the geranium seeds up. Costly to say the least. The cheapest I saw was £2.35p for 6 seeds. Let us hope all mine perform better than the plants I bought over the last 2 years as they have been disappointing. More soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment