Friday 30 January 2015

Re.Wishful thinking

What disappointing weather we have had since I started to look after the chickens.
 On Wednesday evening when I went to shut them in there was a howling gale, blowing the refuse bins all over the place, to add to this was driving sleet more or less horizontal and by the time I got back in I was soaked to the skin. Later we had snow, not that much but enough to cover the ground.
 Thursday morning I went to let the chickens out just before 8.00am. The overnight snow had at first started to thaw but froze so that it was treacherous walking. I went back around 11.00am to feed the chickens with my bird seed which they look forward to. I went to check and saw that there were 2 eggs, very nice.
 I again went to feed them in the afternoon   around 2.30pm.  and around 4.15pm. it suddenly got dark and the heavens opened up with heavy snow for about 15 minutes. With the swirling wind the snow tended to stick. Thank goodness it stopped well before I went to shut them up. In fact they were all inside so I just shut them in.
 This morning I went as ususal to let them out, it was very cold indeed and I looked at my outside reading and it showed -3c. When I tried to slide open one of the coops it was tightly stuck, obviously the snow had froze so that it was stuck solid.
  I went back about 90 minutes later and although the temperature had only risen to zero I did manage to force it open so that the chickens could get out, mind you it was still bitter cold and I was frozen stiff when I got back indoors.
 Around Noon I had a postal delivery and with some circulars I went to put them in the recycle bin. I heard a car next door so I went to investigate. It was the guy who has a loft together with the couple who live there. He told me he was going home as it was too cold. I informed him that I would not be looking after the chickens again during the months of November, December, January and February as the weather was inconsistent and to be honest I would never have ventured outside if it hadn't been for me looking after the chickens.
 I went again this afternoon and fed the birds, I also checked to see if there were any eggs, I didn't expect any as it has been bitterly cold but surprisingly there was 1. I don't expect any tomorrow. More soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment