Monday 5 January 2015

A New Year is upon us.

I was surprised that anyone bothered to read my blog but I was pleasantly surprised that a certain person whose initials are K.E. wish me seasonal greetings. I am touched by this and thank him so much for his kind remarks.
 Now that the festivities are over and to be honest I am mainly because I put on a little weight, no good for me at all. I am now watching once more what and how much I devour.
 I am also starting to think about this coming year regarding the garden. The other day I went out and dug up a gooseberry bush. It had been frosty earlier but the ground had thawed sufficiently for me to dig it up. The main reason for doing this was the thorns on the bush were dreadful. I do have a couple of other bushes and although the thorns are nowhere as prolific they are not a dessert fruit and are very sharp unless you let them on the bush for quite some time. If I don't protect the one outside the fruit cage the blackbirds eat them.
 I have ordered some more seeds and seed potatoes. Also on New Year's Day I set 3 dozen broad bean seeds in pots and put them in my greenhouse. I also set s few seed potatoes in my polytunnel, not that I had many to set. I think I set 9 in all. I also tried something I have never done before. I have set 6 shallot s in pots and left them in the greenhouse and at the same time set 4 in the ground in the greenhouse. I will use them as spring onions in the late spring taking them well before they swell up to start to make the shallots.
 I suppose we get much worse weather this winter but at least the darkest days are behind us, thank goodness. I must say that the mornings don't get any lighter until after the first two weeks in January.
 More soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment