Wednesday 10 June 2015

One less Magpie

These photos were taken the same time as the last ones I posted. The lettuce has been good but the strawberries apart from the one I have shown have been rather small but I must admit that they are at least a couple of weeks ahead of outdoor fruit.
 This morning I looked out soon after 7.30am to think od feeding the birds. I couldn't believe my eyes for in the fruit cage, which I thought I had made bird proof there were 2 magpies flying around. Incidentally the length is around 18 paces but the width is only about 4 paces, so quite a large area. As soon as I went in they went mad trying to escape. I eventually managed to corner both of them and hit one which let out a squeal and laid motionless the other one managed to escape. I was not surprised to see that a couple of magpies because it is widely known that if you gat a magpie catcher and manage to capture a bird, without fail another will join it.
 When I checked to see the magpie it was dead, that makes it magpie1 a garden bird 1. It is most unusual for anyone to catch a magpie as they are so
timid.
As for my fruit garden I have a lot of greenfly and have to spray daily, so much so that I have had to prune many branches on my plum trees. The Czar plum is badly affected that I will not be getting any fruit off the tree this year. The other plum should produce a few fruits though.
My apple tree s are also suffering, mainly from Woolly Aphids. I have made up a mixture that I took from the Internet so hopefully I will have some control of this attack. More soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment