Monday 8 June 2015

Thieving Magpie?

I took this photo because the late evening sun was shining on the offshore wind farm about 3 miles from my home. The sea being some 2 miles plus. If you can zoom in you can just make out the propellers.
  These are my garden peas grown in the polytunnel. They grow to a height of around 5ft. Everything grows larger in the polytunnel. Unfortunately with no wind they do not get the strength in the stems and soon after this photo was taken, they started to collapse a little so had to shore them up. Mind yo it was well worth it, so far I have had 3lb. of peas and I guess another 2lb will be gathered. Incidentally they taste great.
Now to the title of my latest blog. Magpies have I think one of the keenest eyes of all the birds except the prey birds. Magpies are like blackbirds really. Blackbirds are destructive, they pull up all small plants gardeners set, they eat worms which are good for gardens, they also eat all fruit that is not protected and finally peck the apples on my fruit trees.
 Magpies on the other hand are devious. I had the tale that  they eat the eggs if they find a birds nest and will eat the chicks if given the chance.
Yesterday around 5.30pm. I saw this magpie and went to investigate. I was in the T.V. room and it has patio doors and leads to my sitting room so the Magpie didn't see me. As soon as I moved into the sitting room it took off, not before I had noticed that it had trapped a small bird and was about to eat it. Incidentally the bird was a Tree Sparrow, similar to a House Sparrow but a fraction smaller. I went to pick the bird up but unfortunately it was dead. The Magpie had definitely killed the small bird as it was still warm.
 These Magpies have been around lately because I think the large house next door the Owners sling bread out for the birds and I have seen the odd Crow around also. Needless to say if I see any Magpies I show myself and off they fly. More soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment