Thursday 25 February 2016

Flying Scotsman

It has all been about The Flying Scotsman today. Had I been living in Grantham, even I might have gone to see it pass through the main line Station.
 The first time I saw it was in 1952, it was based at Grantham and was in the old Garter Blue livery but it wasn't long before it was whisked off to Doncaster Plant for a complete overhaul.  The base at that time was 35B but by the time I was back from my National Service it had altered to 34F. All steam engines went to have an overhaul about every 2 years.
 What was unusual about the name was that it was one of about 80 A3 steam engines and every other A3 had been named after well known race horses of that era, that was in the late 20s.
 Flying Scotsman was on show at some Empire Show around 1923 in Wembley as of that time without a name. Someone suggested that it be named after the London, King's Cross to Edinburgh train which was called The Flying Scotsman. It left each weekday morning at 10.00am. The only stopping places were Grantham, Newcastle and Edinburgh. The main reason for stopping at Grantham was to change steam engines, likewise at Newcastle. It was nice to see it passing through Grantham today on the T.V.
 I have just about finished my potatoes that I had collected and saved in the Autumn, my mate bought me half a bag from Morrison's and I expect to be using them some time next week.
 My daffodils are now in bud, well some of them anyway so I guess we are about 2 weeks ahead in this area.
 I am just about recovered from my bout of sickness, as one gets older it seems to take a lot longer to shake off these bugs. Let us hope we do not get another for a long time. More soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment