Thursday 23 June 2016

Lad

On Monday I was out the front cleaning the block paving and I wished to see the young lad next door, unfortunately it started to rain heavy so that I went indoors.
 Today I once more went to catch him and this time was successful but when I asked him to help me on Saturday he told me that he was once again going to respite. I told him that there was no problem and next Tuesday would be fine. He then suggested that he would go home but immediately would come round so that we could get the netting over the apple trees.
 It wasn't long before he came round so off we went, I didn't expect to get the job done as it started to rain but not heavy and we managed to get it all done. In fact it took less than 30 minutes.
 He then told me he would look at the garden and polytunnel. He asked if I had any radish for him which I told him I would have a few but they were small, he also wished some onions which I gladly gave him. He then asked me if I had any radish seeds. I told him I was sure I had plenty. I cleaned his onions and radish, put them in a bag then looked for some radish seeds. I told him that I would not sow them for him but would want him to sow them. He asked if I would go round with him to supervise him which of course I agreed.
 Off we went round and we had a tour of his small garden and greenhouse. To be honest he has looked after it much better than I had expected. I told him how to sow the seeds, he has not a lot of control with his hands, so I took a sort of beaker and tipped some seeds in. I then dug a little then let him carry on insisting that he took all the weeds out and placed them in the compost bin.
 I then showed him how to make a small drill so that the seeds could be set then showed him how to tip the beaker up so that he could gradually set the seeds. With a little difficulty he managed it, I did say to him that if  a few too many seeds fell together then he could use his finger to spread them a little.
 I looked at his broad beans which he had taken the tops out. They look fine and hopefully within 3 or so weeks he will be harvesting some broad beans for their dinner.
 So a job that I expected to take no more than 30 minutes took well over an hour but at least he was happy and that is the main thing. More soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment