Tuesday 2 August 2016

Concrete

On Monday I had delivered some sharp sand and a bag of cement. My mate had ordered it for me.
  Anyway I decided to get some work done, in particular some concrete where I had some rotten wood at my greenhouse. My mate suggested what I should do so I tried to do it. In fact it is in a most awkward place and as I am getting too old for this I had trouble getting to the affected part but eventually did it.
  I also had several places that the concrete had crumbled and left holes, not large holes but enough for me to to.
 I didn't realise just how weak I have become and to be honest I found it very hard to do, but eventually I finished what concrete I had made. My next job is on Saturday when the lad from next door will help me.
 Talking of the lad, after having a nap in the afternoon I noticed some problem on one of my fencing panels. off I went to look at it when I heard my name from next door, it was the lad, he showed me some broad beans and told me he was putting some in the compost bin. I immediately told him I would come round as the ones he was discarding looked fine.
 I got next door via the back garden, told him that all the broad beans were fine and wanted to be picked. I told him to get a bag, in fact he needed 2. I started to pick the beans which he helped. The carer came to see how we were doing and I told her they were for her and she suggested that they have some for their tea. We filled a bag and then we started to fill a second bag in which he told me he would take them to work and sell the broad beans. I guess there would be at least 4 lbs. and that he should charge £1.50p.  I then told him to get some secateurs but bought some loppers. I then started to cut them down to ground level and he took the remaining broad beans and put them in the compost bin. His carer came along and I pulled one of the broad bean roots up to show the roots contained nitrogen, the only plant as far as I know that produces goodness for the soil. I showed them how to take the nodules off and spread them around. I then showed him how to dig the garden taking the weeds out and putting them in the compost bin, by now it was full but he managed to get the weeds forced in the bin.
 I told him to watch me as I showed him how to dig the soil, incidentally was very good. I thn let him have a go but soon stopped him and told him to look where he had trod. What he had done was dig a piece then stand on it.
 I showed him again and this time told him exactly what I was doing. I then let him start to dig again and this time supervised him telling him exactly where to put the garden fork so that he was working his way from left to right.
 When we had finished he was pleased the way it looked and commented how much space there was in the garden.
 By the time I had finished there it was well after 5.00pm.  I was absolutely worn out and stumbled my way back to mine ready to get my tea meal.
I didn't take any rocking to sleep last night but I knew my mate would be here today so another busy day for me although it is very nice to see him.
 Tomorrow it is his Birthday and generally he comes on Wednesday, I asked him if his Partner would be taking him out for his Birthday treat. I am sure she will have something special in store for him. No doubt he will let me know sometime. More soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment