Tuesday 30 August 2016

Red sky at night


I was always led to believe that red sky at night was a shepherd's delight meaning that the next day would be nice and dry.
 This went out of the window for Friday night the sky was as red as I can remember for many a year.
  Saturday dawned rather dull with a little rain and to be honest didn't improve much during the morning. In the early afternoon it brightened up a little but soon after 3.30.pm. it went as black as night and not long after 4.00.pm. the heavens opened up with very heavy rain, torrential at times with constant thunder and lightening. This lasted until soon after 7.30.pm. Needless to say the garden was waterlogged and together with the strong winds the leaves from the trees were scattered on the ground.
 Sunday morning I went up the garden to see that most of the water had subsided considerably but in the orchard plenty of apples had fallen off the trees. Mainly James Grieve  and Bramley.
 I picked a few more James Grieve apples as you can see by the photo. They are an excellent dual purpose apple, rather sharp to taste but very juicy, also as you can see they are excellent as cooking apples boiling down to  a fluffy state.
 I had the Italian friend and his Wife come to visit me. They had a couple of coffees and she had 3 teaspoonfuls of sugar in her coffee. I picked about 6 James Grieve apples for them. To be honest they could do with about another week or more on the tree. I had boiled some up for my apple sauce and asked her if she would like to have a taste showing her that they boiled down well to a fluffy state. I expected her response which was they were not sweet enough for her but I told her to use them in a pie or crumble.
 The Bank Holiday has now gone and today has been a glorious day with almost unbroken sunshine and a pleasant breeze. Still the weather over the last few days didn't deter the traffic. To be honest I think it has been as busy as I have known it. Mind you the Children got back to school next week so hopefully the traffic will be back to normal. More soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment