Monday 15 August 2016

Miles away

I have been watching the Olympic Games and I have missed the odd post.
 Today with the wind coming off the sea it was ideal for me to have a bonfire. I first checked to see that the smoke would not blow over next door, the carer who has washing out almost every day. It was fine so I made sure that the bonfire burnt well. It was nice and dry, about 10 minutes later I looked over next door because I could hear burning. Sure enough the fire was burning fiercely and the flames were well over 10' high. I went to look over the fence and noticed it was the carer herself. I expected it to be her Husband. She was trying to control the fire with a garden hose. She saw me and asked if I could turn the tap on more, I of course told her I would. So off I went going through the back hedge and up her garden to the tap which I turned on full.
 I could see she was somewhat perturbed and I told her that all was well. She then pointed out the field which had Oil Seed Rape on had caught fire on the perimeter. I told her I would sort it out and she suggested that I take a bucket of water. I told her that it would not work but I would try to sort it out. Off I went and had considerable trouble getting up the slope to the field but eventually managed it. I could see that the Farmer had started to plough the field in readiness to setting some seeds. I could also see the edge of the field which had dry grass had caught fire in several areas.
 I remembered that when I was at the Seafront Cafe on the car park, one day some youngsters had lit fires to start a grass fire. The Fire Brigade had been called but I said to my assistant that I would go and look at what was happening. I waled up and used my feet to stamp out the firs and made sure all was well. When the Fire Engine came up and asked where the fire was I told them that I had put it out. They were somewhat surprised at the way I put the fire out. So I had some idea as to what I could do.
 This time it was more difficult and to be honest the heat did manage to damage my shoes a little but at least I managed to extinguish the fire completely. Then I tried to find my was back to her garden, with great difficulty forcing my way through high vegetation including nettles I gave her the good news that all the fires had been put out. I went home and was shattered but within 20 minutes the lad came to see me. His carer had told him to come round and ask me to go for coffee. It would have been rather rude of me to refuse so I went round.
 After about 30 minutes talking and a coffee I told the lad that we would go out and collect the remaining bits of rubbish together and place it on the smouldering bonfire. I told him not to go and do anything on his own as the heat was still great. We collected the remaining bits and then I told him that when the ash was cold he could spread it on his garden as it would do good.
 By the time I had finished there it was 5.00.pm. and past my tea time but at least we both had got rid of a lot of rubbish. More soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment