Thursday 15 June 2017

First time this year

Yesterday I had an appointment with the dentist, I had originally cancelled my appointment with the Dentist I had because of his attitude to me regarding the new dentures. She did grind then down somewhat. She told me she came from Romania and to be honest was a lovely looking lass. She then told me that if it needed any adjustments just ma an appointment and she would see me as soon as possible. They are a littl akward at the moment but I will persevere.
 Before my appointment I arranged to go to Lidl, it is only about 200 yards away. As usual, as I got there early the store was easy to get round but when it came to the check out it was back to normal, I did ask a guy who worked there if it was the only check out open, his answer was to confirm what I had expected. I did give myself plenty of extra time for the wait to get the goods paid so I was well in time for the Dental appointment.
 While I was waiting I got talking to an Old Lady, I guess there would not be much difference in age to me. One thing made me think was she told me her Father was a prisoner of war in germany and she didn't see her father until she was about 5 years of age. We went on to discuss the food we had during and after the war and she told me she still loves dripping plus lard with a little salt. We didn't eat the lard but my Mother used to save the lard from the Pork to use in the pastry. I told her about the jam roly poly. To those who have no idea of what it is, we had it like this, my Mother used to make pastry then roll it out and put jam in it as if you were making a swiss roll. when it was rolled up it was covered with lard, butter  margarine or any greased proof paper to seal it. It was then wrapped in a cloth and steamed for about 90 minutes. We had it with milk not custard.
 When I was in business I had on as a sweet baked jam roll, some think that is the same as roly poly, anyway this man told us that it reminded him when he was young, he was one of 6 children and his Mother used to make a Jam Roly Poly every Monday and used to boil it in the copper the same time as she was boiling the whites, this saved time and money too.
 When I got back home I checked to see if I had enough fresh vegetables out of my garden, so with potatoes, garden peas(out of the polytunnel)cauliflower and some broad beans I managed to have plenty for yesterday. Today with the weather being hot I decided to have a cold salad but I did boil potatoes cauliflower and peas early to let them go cold. I did have some onions lettuce and radish in the greenhouse so with the cucumber I had a nice ham salad. Incidentally I have at least 2 more cucumbers growing nicely. I hope my mate enjoys them when his are ready. More soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment