Thursday 29 June 2017

Little improvement

Over the last 36 hours or so we have had over 3" of rain and today has not been that good either. We have had a little drizzle and naturally very dull but the strong winds have subsided somewhat. The weathermen say that we will have to wait until Saturday to see any real improvement in the weather.
  Late last night I had a phone call from ASDA informing me that my new spectacles were ready to be collected. I plan to go over next Tuesday.
 The lad didn't go to work again this morning as he had overslept. I hinted to him that he might catch a later bus to work but if he did I don't know. I of course will find out. I showed him just how much damage the winds and rain did to my garden, he had told me that some of his plants were ruined. I then showed him mine and told him that a lot would recover but not look quite as nice as they had prior to the winds and rain.
 I was watching the T V, on BBC when a trailer for Wimbledon appeared. It was always known as Strawberries and Cream many years ago  when I was young. In fact my Mother used to say that there would be no strawberries for the next fortnight because they would all go to Wimbledon. This, remember was in the late 40s to early 50s when there was no Supermarkets, fridges etc. so saving stuff was out of the question. I  now realise that the seasons are much earlier for I grow a few strawberries, mainly for the lad if truth be told and my strawberries have more or less finished. I also have a few raspberry canes, they too have been fruiting for a couple of weeks and are past their best . My Mother used to moan about the raspberries as she used to say that while they were on holiday the raspberries would be ready and she used to go on holiday in early July.
 Mind you how things have changed, I was a National Service person although I worked on what was then called a reserved occupation. This meant that in case of War we had no option but to carry on working for British Railways. However B.R.  as it was called had a special dispensation that in time of peace all lads working on the Railway had to do their 2 years National Service. I, actually wass in the Army when the U.K and France declared War on Egypt over the Suez Canal. All the lads due to go in the Armed Forces for the 2 years National Service from B.R. was suspended and the lads a little younger then me never did their National Service. I do believe though that around 1960 National Service was abolished.
 The Army though did me a favor because they taught me to drive. They gave us a form to send, once we had been demobbed to what is now DVLA and they sent us a British Licence so that we could now drive a vehicle in this Country although I had passed my Driving Test in Hong Kong.
 Now I am getting to how things have changed. In 1960 I decided to go mobile but could not afford a decent 2nd hand car so I bought a Van which was about 2 years old. It was  a Ford Thames 100 E side valve petrol with 3 forward gears and one reverse. In 1960 and for several years after there was a speed limit on all vans of 30mph. This didn't matter if you was on the main A roads that was the maximum you were allowed to go but if you had a car, apart from the Town restrictions which was generally 30mph you was allowed to travel at what speed you  liked as there was no maximum speed limit. How things have changed. More soon.
P.S. Thanks K.E. for the kind words you have sent me, actually I had a quiet day.

No comments:

Post a Comment