Wednesday 28 June 2017

Memory loss again

I forgot to  post my blog yesterday.
 By the way my Sister has  just rung me to wish me a Happy Birthday, she was on the phone for about an hour, she is with a cable firm with free phone calls. I have attained the age of 80 years.
  Now back to normality, the lad called round just before 8.00.am. to let me know he wasn't going to work today because of the weather, it is raining hard and has been ever since early evening last night. It will do some good but it is also windy and cold too.
 I went down to the greenhouse on Saturday morning to find that my cucumber plant had collapsed completely. As I am a complete novice at growing cucumbers I didn't realise that the weight of several cucumbers could drag the plant down but it did have about 4 well developed cucumbers on it. I looked at it on Sunday after lifting it and tying it up and I think it will survive. Whether I get any more cucumbers is a guess. It does however have a couple of cucumbers on that are more or less ready to be picked. That will mean at least 7 cucumbers off the plant so if I get no more I have done better than expected.
 I had arranged the lad to come round on Saturday morning so that we could go to the local Garden Centre also he could have dinner with me. I had picked the gooseberries off my bush so I could give him a gooseberry crumble. I had originally asked him to get round somewhere around 10.45.am but he asked me if he could get here at 10.00.am. Naturally I told him that this was fine. Anyway soon after 10.00.am. he arrived and after showing him the garden and what we had planned to do we got the car out and as the back way had been closed told him that we had to go to Sutton-on Sea to get to the Garden Centre. All went well but when we got to the Village called Bilsby I noticed that the back road to my Village was once again open so I told him that we could go that way back home. When we got to Alford we turned right to go to the Garden Centre which was about 4 miles away but when we got to the turnoff to the Garden Centre this road was closed and it informed us to follow the directions. It took us miles out of our way and we finished up in Withern,  a small Village several miles away but I realised that there was a turning to the Garden Centre but as we approached the turn off it once more said road closed. I told the lad that it was time to go home as there was no way to get to the Garden Centre. With that the lad noticed a sign saying."Open as usual". I asked him where he had seen the sign and maneuvered the car so that I could see better and sure enough there was a small hand written sign and there was space enough for vehicles to get onto the side road so off we went, it was only about 2 miles to the Garden Centre. It was open but not busy at all so when I went in and ordered some compost I did mention that it was not easy to get to them, she reflected that they had seen a huge drop in customers. Anyway we got the compost we needed and I told the lad we would not take the long way round back home but go through Mablethorpe. It was indeed a lot quicker back home but it took us well over an hour of driving when it would normally take no more than 30 minutes there and back but at least we did get some compost. More soon.

1 comment:

  1. Happy Birthday! I hope have had a wonderful day.

    ReplyDelete