Monday 23 October 2017

Forgot

I have had approaching 3 dozen cucumbers, these are the latest, I had 3 but gave one to my Postman friend. These are at least getting smaller, just under 12" long.
 On Thursday the lad from next door came round, his Carer had gone out and would be back on about 20 minutes. He carried a large bag with him and told me that he had been given from Butlin's a new set of clothes because on Monday he was changing jobs and going to Environment. He then took the things out, there were 3 T shirts, a couple of pairs of trousers  2 jackets, one was lightweight and the other heavyweight He also had a sort of waterproof coat together with a wooly hat. He was thrilled with the new set but added that he had to take the old set in but there was no need to have them cleaned as they wold do that there.
 He then told me that on Saturday he was going to have his flu jab and would be round as soon as he could. I had planned to go to the local garden Centre mainly to get some more John Innes No. 3 compost.
 Saturday morning spot on 10.00.am the door bell rang, it was the lad, he told me that it was not this Saturday but next Saturday he was having the flu jab. I had originally told him that we would have Chicken but as he had told me he didn't know exactly when he would call I told him that we would have sausages beans and chips, followed by a damson and apple crumble. Naturally I had to stone all the damsons so that he didn't swallow any.
 So off we went to the Garden Centre, as soon as we entered the main road we had problems, not with the car but the road. Every 50 yards or so there was a ramp and there were about 8 vehicles in front of us going at no more than 5 miles an hour, mind you that was fast enough for the state of the road. I told him that we would not be coming back this way although it put about 7 miles on the journey.
 When we got to the Garden Centre it was quite busy, the first thing I told him was that we would look to see if they had any John Innes No. 3 which they did have so it was off to go inside. I told him that it was large and he could get lost, immediately we entered there was Christmas goods everywhere but we went straight through looking for seeds which I found quite easily. We picked a couple of packets then I told him I would show him the tree selection, this was outside and while we were there a Lady came and asked if they had any Apricot trees like that advertised on Gardener's World. I told her that they certainly would not have that Apricot but if she wished an old apple tree there was one available and it was called Ashmeads Kernel but she didn't seem to want to know about that.
 Then it was back into the main area and I asked the lad if he could find his way out and he told me definitely not for he would get lost. As I have been there about 4 times before I knew more or less my way round and took him to the sign that said Pay Desk and way out. I did see that they had some Barley Sugar sweets so picked up a couple of packs, put them and the seeds and told the lass that I would have 6 of the Compost. I paid and she gave us a ticket which we had to give to the lad outside so that he could load my car.
 After waiting several minutes the lad told me that he was over the far side of the car park loading some gear in a car. Eventually he came back and told me that it was all or nothing for he had been idle for about an hour then everybody wanted him, he loaded the car and off we went.
 When we got back I told the lad that I would open the gate so that he could get the wheelbarrow to transfer the compost 2 to the greenhouse and the other 4 to the polytunnel.
 He went to play on the computer while I prepared the dinner, first cooking the crumble and then cooking the sausages in the George Foreman grill. I then had 10 minutes with the lad but soon it was time to cook the chips in the Air Fryer, it really is a great machine. I have to thank my Pal for this as he told me all about them and he got me a second hand one, It was a lot cheaper than a new one but it was also dirty.
 It takes from cold about 20 or so minutes to cook chips, the only thing you have to do is give the chips a good shake after about 10 minutes, I drop the sausages in  about 5 minutes before the time is up just to get them hot once more the fat or most of it has been got rid of by the George Foreman grill. I gave him a bread roll for he loves to make a chip butty. I told him the when I was in Hong Kong in the Army the NAAFI which was run by the Chinese there were no rolls but if you wished to have a chip butty it was made with a couple of slices of bread and was called a Chip Banjoe, well that is what the Chinese guy used to shout when it was ready. Enough for today more soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment