Thursday 16 November 2017

History

Firstly I must tell you this.
 I had an e-mail from Argos and it had a Black Friday special. It was for an Air Fryer from Phillips costing £79.99p The recommended retail price is £179 I do have one and the Diabetic Nurse told me that she had one and it was very good. I am thrilled to bits with mine.
 Now to the history. As many would know that after the war the Country was in a dreadful state with it being up to the hilt in debt. What a lot wouldn't know that demobilization of the Armed Forces did not happen straight away and it would be a couple of years before the last of the personnel managed to get demobbed.
 To add  to this we had the worst Winter in many years in 1947 and of course this Country had to pay the USA what it owed for the lend lease and it was not until the late 90s that we managed to finally repay what we owed.
 This is what the Country was like, a lot of repair work and no tools to speak of. In fact the big freeze of 1947 saw many Council workmen using pick axes to break the ice on the main A1. I saw this for myself. We had no reserves of salt and grit to use on the roads. In fact it was 1947 the Government raised the school leaving age from 14 years to 15 years. As my Sister was born in April 1933 she was born 3 days too late.This was for anyone born after March 31st. 1933 so she had to stay on much to the dismay of my Mother and my Sister. What most people would not realise that in Lincolnshire being a rural County people who did not either go to a Grammar School or Secondary School had the chance to put their name down to be allowed to go potato picking for 2 weeks in late September or early October, whenever the potato harvest was ready. This was in 1946.
 Luckily enough my Sister was one of the children chosen so for 2 weeks together with her selected schoolmates went to a farm only a few miles away from the school. I think they were collected and bought back by the local Farmer. As for my Sister she thoroughly enjoyed it. This happened the following year too. I don't know if it was carried on after that because my Sister left school in the Summer of 1948. More soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment