Thursday 30 November 2017

Snow

Yesterday we had an awful lot of heavy rain in showers so this morning it dawned with a sharp frost, the first of the Winter and although it was cloudy to the East on the western side it was blue sky. Then it came cloudy and soon after 8.00.am. it started to snow, the weather forecaster had informed that Scarborough had a few centimeters of snow so I did expect some. The trouble was that we had continuous snow for well over 2 and 1/2 hours and of course with the temperature being so low it settled. Around 10.30.am. it stopped and for a very short period of time we did see a little sun. Now it has been snowing once more for about 30 minutes, the good thing is that the temperature has risen to just above freezing point. The forecast is for it to gradually get warmer so that tomorrow it will be more rain and sleet rather than snow. Just as well for I have to travel to the Surgery for my quarterly appointment for a blood test.
 Now to a little more about the Old Gentleman who was in Lincoln Hospital at the same time as me. He told me he had been lucky all his life starting when he bet on a horse in the Lincoln Handicap, the opening of the Flat Season. It was run for many years at Carholme in Lincoln. He told me somebody had told him many months before to put some money on Over Coat ante post. I immediately told him that I knew Over Coat had won and told him what my father had related to me many years ago when he took me to the St. Leger in Doncaster and we saw Prince Monolulu with his coloured plumes on his head shouting "I gotta horse." My father saw this small man go to Prince Monolulu and ask him for a tip for the Lincoln Handicap for he had lost almost all of his money. He put his arm on the man's shoulder and told him to not forget his overcoat. As my Father heard him say this he decided to have a small bet. He told me that with the winnings he had more than broke even on the day.
 My Father only used to go to the Lincoln Handicap but when it was moved to Doncaster he then went to the St. Leger meeting. This was the one and only time he took me for I told him that it was not for me.
 Mr. L then told me he had won enough money to start a Taxi Business but as his win came I think in 1936 he no sooner started his Taxi Business when the War broke out. He told me once again he was lucky for when he was called up there were about 10 men and the Officer in charge picked him out and told him that he would be immediately promoted to Corporal and would be in charge of the other men there. He then told me he finished up as a Sergeant. He then told me that he started his Taxi Firm and made a success of it making enough money to buy a house in a respectable area in Lincoln.
 As he was 91 he soon came tired and told me that next time he would tell me of all the cars he had owned but unfortunately this didn't happen for the next day the Staff Nurse told me he was going to order a Taxi to take me home, this was a Sunday, in fact Mothering Sunday for the guy who took me home informed me that he was offered the Taxi for the day because the Owner was taking his Wife outy for the day. He added that if it wasn't for the journey that I had it would have been a wash out. More soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment