Tuesday 21 November 2017

Power cut

We had a power cut on Sunday evening just after 6.00.pm. I was out in the Kitchen/Diner when I was plunged into darkness. I was left groping about for some time but eventually found a solar light that my mate had suggested I purchase, the trouble was that when I came to turn it on I couldn't find the button to press. So off I went with this in my hand to try to feel for a lantern battery torch. After knocking down several items I did find the torch, turned it on and then found the small button to turn the light on. It certainly showed enough light for me to see but as I had tried it out in the late Summer as it became dusk, I was surprised just how long it lasted. I did, however have it on maximum power so this time I managed to get a candle and lit that turning off all other lights. I as you know have a solar Roberts Radio so tuned in to Radio Lincolnshire to see if there was any information about the power cut. Unfortunately it was a music programme playing very old music. After that the announcer informed us that for the next 2 hours it was music all the way. So that was that for the information or lack of it. I then tuned to Radio 4 but only after 10 minutes or so the power came on. It had been off for something like 45 minutes.
 Yesterday morning I went to have my hair cut, as it was a dreadful day with rain and drizzle I half expected the Barbers to be closed but as I approached I could see there was lights on. When I entered I saw there were 4 gentlemen in ahead of me which surprised me especially as it was just after 9.00.am. It opens at 9.00.am. More came in after I had arrived, anyway the next man to sit in the chair was an old Man, he had trouble walking, the hairdresser told him that she was going to get the coffee for him first but she was using her own mug. She made the coffee with a Nescafe machine added the sugar for him and gave it to him asking him if it was alright. His reply was beautiful. He went on drinking whist she cut his hair. He was quite talkative and she asked him how he was getting on at the Day Centre, he obviously goes there to meet other people. He then told her it was good and he had met someone he had not seen for years. He mentioned his name but then added that the guy wanted to die because he had lost his Wife. Eventually he left and when it was my turn the Hairdresser told me about the Man. His Wife bought him down and asked her to make him a coffee, she added that before she opened the Shop she did cut a few men's hair at their home and he was one of those that she cut adding he was also suffering from Alzheimer's plus Dementia but if he was it certainly didn't show. Then came a surprise for I asked her if the coffee was free. She told me that it was but you would have to use the cups provided. I also noticed a bowl of sweets which I presume was also free. Needless to say none in the shop had a drink.
 I must add this, most of the Men there knew each other and the Hairdresser also knew them too. To be honest I did inform her that for the first time in years I had found a Hairdresser that cut my hair just as I like it. She charges I think for OAPs £4.50 or less I gave her the usual £5 because I think it is well worth it. I still can't get over the free coffee and that is a Nescafe machine. I have never heard of another Barber's Shop offering free drinks. More soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment