Friday 3 November 2017

Time flies

I think I mentioned that the other week the lad next door went with me to the Garden Centre, there we met a Lady who was looking at fruit trees and asked if I thought they would have an Apricot tree which was mentioned on Gardener's World, I of course told her that it was almost certain they would have none in stock.
 As Gardener's World was repeated the following morning I took particular notice of the tree mentioned by Monty Don. It was called Compacta so I then decided to go Online to search for this Apricot tree. It was not surprising to read that there had been a huge increase in demand for the tree that all the stockists that had advertised the tree had sold out and several orders had been taken for next years stock.
 I decided to investigate further and checked many sites, most had already the sold out sign but I did find one site that said nothing about the Apricot Compacta and a different site that gave no indication of any trees of that name.Anyway I did e-mail both sites requesting information about the said tree. I did get an immediate reply from one site informing me that they had already sold out but if I wished I could forward my name to be put on the waiting list for next year and it would be on as a first come first served basis. I did not forward my name.
 The following morning I did receive an e-mail from the second site informing me that they had a few for sale in 12 ltr. pots. I immediately replied saying that I would love one and gave them my name and address. A quick response was given with the price excluding delivery asking if I wished to proceed. I then confirmed that I did and asked her how could I pay either by debit card or Paypal. Almost immediately came the response requesting me to forward my telephone number so that the Lady who I was dealing with could contact me so this I did.
 Within minutes she contacted me and I gave her my card details and then she told me that it would be dispatched on Monday this week arriving the next day.
 Tuesday I was making my bread rolls when the phone rang, it was the delivery man informing me that he had broken down but hoped to be with me later that day. Soon after the phone rang again, he was full of apologies because he could not get to me this day but promised the next day he would be with me. I thanked him but wondered if my bread rolls would be alright because any delay on bread making is not good but as you can see they turned out very good.
The next morning around 11.00.am. there was a knock on the door plus the door bell ringing, it was the delivery man who shook my hand and again apologised for the delay, I told him not to worry as everything would be fine. The tree was the best I have ever had for being protected and it had in large letters, Live Trees in Transport. I then removed the packaging and stood the plant outside and gave it a drink of water, not that it really needed it  and yesterday morning I decided to put it in the garden although it is a compact tree quite capable of standing on a Patio. After planting the tree I sent the Lady who had dealt with me an e-mail giving her the latest information, also stating the the tree was looking very good. Naturally I had a swift response from her which I had expected.
I went Online to look for some old fashioned Tar Oil Wash which has now been banned, I presume by the E.U. but there is an alternative, whether it is as effective I just don't know. It is commonly called Winter Tree Wash, it is supposed to kill the wintering bugs and their eggs off fruit trees and fruit bushes. I did check the local shop which sells a lot of gardening equipment amongst other things but on the search box it informed  me that there was no such match so I went the search Online and of course found one with free delivery at about the same price as the shops were advertising so I have ordered a bottle. So that is one of the next jobs I will have to do but it is not important to get it done, I have until the end of February next year to complete the process.
By the way, I have managed due to the mild October to eat my runner beans into November, today being the last day but tomorrow I will have the last climbing french beans together with the last few runner beans. So from now on it will be winter vegetables such as cabbage, carrots and leeks. More soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment